Old 17-02-2003, 01:15 PM
AndyD

Default New Filter Medium ?

Frogs. Just flushed through my bottom drain fed vortex & 2 high velocity
frogs shot out of the pipe & then emptied my first filter chamber & 4
more came out & hopped off. If they make it through the other 4 chambers
& the pump without getting mashed they'll get a nice tan in the UV
filter !
Me thinks this is going to be a problem.
Old 17-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Lee Brouillet

Last year I had a leopard frog get sucked into the intake pipe leading to my
pump: it ruined a $26 check valve, mostly because I was too sqeamish to take
a pair of needle nose plyers and extract him piece-meal. Yuck. I went to my
local Lowes, to the area where they have all the landscaping plumbing, and
purchased a strainer that's designed to fit into pipes in atriums to strain
out mulch. Then I glued a "test cap" for 4" PVC to the open end and voila! a
frog strainer! It fit right over the end of my intake pipe. I had tried
strainer baskets over the end previously, but they clogged too easily. This
has nice open areas, but too small for froggies.

FYI, when I cleaned out my biofalls last spring, I found 6 koi fry: they
made it through my pump strainer, the bead filter, my UV, 20' to the
biofalls, and through 3 layers of filter pad, 2 bags of lava rock and a bag
of activated charcoal to swim around in the top! Determined little buggers!

Lee

om...

Old 18-02-2003, 05:04 PM
AndyD

I was going to make a mesh grill to cover the pump feed & make one to go
between the vortex & filter's. Found one in the vortex going round in
circles, seemed quite happy. At least your frogs look prettier than the
ones I get here in the UK.

In article ,
says...
[...]

om...