Old 28-05-2006, 06:43 PM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Dividing Lilies

When it comes to lily dividing..... just like ponding... there are
many different ways. So what you read below is how *I* do it.

I use the soil my house is built on, which is 99% sand, and that is what I
recommend to others, use the free stuff your lot came with, unless of
course you have no open areas to dig. If you have to purchase, get soil
with low organics, as it'll just float away.

If I buy a new lily from the store, I get rid of the garbage they've
planted it in, usually a rocky clay that turns to cement when dry. I do a
clean cut 2-3" from the growing point.

Container, I prefer cheap 12"X18" X 8" deep baskets that I get for about a
buck at Big Lots. I line them with wet weed fabric so my soil/sand stays in
the basket. I take several shovelfuls of soil/sand, a little water, an mix
till it is similar to wet cement (or brownie mix). I put this in the bottom
2" of the basket. The new lily's cut end goes up against the side of the
12" end so it can grow 18" before it hits the other side. I then put
another inch of soil on the roots. The crown must be above the dirt level.
I use a large rock on the back of the crown. I insert 2-3 Tomato stakes
into the soil/sand. Lastly, I take strips of the weed cloth and lay them
lengthwise, **not over lapping** then river rock on top. In a goldfish pond
just a few, if koi, use lots.

Old lilies, same thing, only I'll use two main plants and remove any
babies. ~ jan

--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 28-05-2006, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds
J.D. Stone

"~ janj" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Jan! A nice sensible, well explained way to divide (depending on
pond size, of course). Maybe I can keep mine in the pots next time I clean
the pond. My lot is mostly sand, also.
JD