Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default fish dying in pond

First, I've always had pretty good luck with my pond.

I may have pushed it last weekend.

My pond has a mixture of some koi and some garden variety comet
goldfish.

Last Sunday I picked up some new koi as well as about 10 small "feeder"
type goldfish.

Introduced them all. All looked well... This morning I discovered 6
dead fish, both new additions and some older ones. All of these dead
fish were goldfish, not koi. My surviving fish look a bit lethargic
too.

For note, we did receive torrential rains this week and something may
have washed into the pond.

I'm sure, I've probably introduced some disease from the cheap comets.
Question is: What do I do now. Let it run its course, add drugs (have
lots of plants I don't want to kill).

Sorry, but I haven't had a kill off before.

Kevin

Old 05-08-2006, 06:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

"Kevin" wrote in message
oups.com...

First, I've always had pretty good luck with my pond.

I may have pushed it last weekend.

My pond has a mixture of some koi and some garden variety comet
goldfish.

Last Sunday I picked up some new koi as well as about 10 small "feeder"
type goldfish.

Introduced them all.

Which could be a big mistake if they're carrying some disease or parasite.
Everything here gets quarantined for 21 days, longer if anything is
suspected.

All looked well... This morning I discovered 6
dead fish, both new additions and some older ones. All of these dead
fish were goldfish, not koi. My surviving fish look a bit lethargic
too.

Not a good sign. With the intense heat in so may places can this be heat
related? Did you check for an ammonia spike?

For note, we did receive torrential rains this week and something may
have washed into the pond.

Or changed the PH and hardness enough to "shock" them.

I'm sure, I've probably introduced some disease from the cheap comets.
Question is: What do I do now. Let it run its course, add drugs (have
lots of plants I don't want to kill).

You first have to know what the problem is before treating them. Do they
have fuzzy places? White patches? Dots? Open sores? White or bloody
looking gills? You can pick up a cheap child's pool for $10 to use as a
quarantine tank. You can check out www.koivet.com but there are many
websites covering pond fish diseases and assorted problems.

--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

First, I've always had pretty good luck with my pond.
I may have pushed it last weekend.
My pond has a mixture of some koi and some garden variety comet
goldfish.
Last Sunday I picked up some new koi as well as about 10 small "feeder"
type goldfish.
Introduced them all. All looked well... This morning I discovered 6
dead fish, both new additions and some older ones. All of these dead
fish were goldfish, not koi. My surviving fish look a bit lethargic
too.
For note, we did receive torrential rains this week and something may
have washed into the pond.

I'm sure, I've probably introduced some disease from the cheap comets.
Question is: What do I do now. Let it run its course, add drugs (have
lots of plants I don't want to kill).

Sorry, but I haven't had a kill off before. Kevin

Hi Kevin, Sorry to hear about your mishap.

First off, whenever there is anything wrong with a pond or tank, check
water parameters. Below is my sick fish/pond form, it will help me
diagnosis your pond and make suggestions:

Sick Fish or Sick Pond Form

Please describe your problem, including fish characteristics, like;
whirling, flashing, gasping at surface, wounds, etc.:

Pond Size in Gallons? (litres*.26=US Gallons):

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)
If City how is water treated?: =

Time in Operation?
(How old is the pond/water?):

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?
Venturies?:

Water Temp?

pH?:

KH?:

Ammonia (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrite (ppm or mg/l):

Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

Tests done by self or another?:

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Medications used?:

What Zone or Country of residence?: