Old 15-10-2006, 01:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default overwintering pond grasses - sink 'em?

I have taken to sinking most of my pond plants for the winter but am
unsure if that is best for the grasses.

My pond is 40 inches deep and I keep a bubbler in it to maintain a
hole in the ice. We are in zone 5B in Southern New Hampshire.

I sunk the Creeping Jenny yesterday but not the grasses. Last year I
brought the grasses inside put them in plastic bags in a cool corner
of the basement and they all croaked.

Advice?

TIA

John
Old 15-10-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.ponds

"John Bachman" wrote in message
I have taken to sinking most of my pond plants for the winter but am
unsure if that is best for the grasses.

Which grasses? They may be hardy in your area and not need sinking.

My pond is 40 inches deep and I keep a bubbler in it to maintain a
hole in the ice. We are in zone 5B in Southern New Hampshire.

I sunk the Creeping Jenny yesterday but not the grasses. Last year I
brought the grasses inside put them in plastic bags in a cool corner
of the basement and they all croaked.

The probably suffocated and rotted in plastic bags. There was no air
exchange.

The hardiness zones of most pond plants can be found somewhere on the net.
I remember a good site but didn't bookmark it. :-(

--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-10-2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.ponds

I have taken to sinking most of my pond plants for the winter but am
unsure if that is best for the grasses.

My pond is 40 inches deep and I keep a bubbler in it to maintain a
hole in the ice. We are in zone 5B in Southern New Hampshire.

I sunk the Creeping Jenny yesterday but not the grasses. Last year I
brought the grasses inside put them in plastic bags in a cool corner
of the basement and they all croaked.

What kind of grasses? What zone are the grasses meant for? If they will
survive normally in 5B without protection I'd leave them in the pond. As
long as most plants crowns/root ball doesn't freeze they should be fine.

There are many plants that can take being totally frozen and come back,
variegated cattail, some iris, water celery and Sagittarius to name a few.

In a pond that is shallow and may freeze entirely one can bury hardy plants
in the ground and cover with mulch. ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-10-2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:43:03 GMT, ~ janj wrote:

[...]

That is my concern. The grasses are in pots only a few inches deep in
the water. The ice will surely be that thick or more. Hence, my
thought about sinking them in the deep part that will not be frozen.

These are all 5B hardy.

John

Old 17-10-2006, 06:08 AM posted to rec.ponds

That is my concern. The grasses are in pots only a few inches deep in
the water. The ice will surely be that thick or more. Hence, my
thought about sinking them in the deep part that will not be frozen.

These are all 5B hardy. John

Then sinking them should work. ~ jan

Also ponding troll free at:
http://groups.google.com/group/The-Freshwater-Aquarium