Old 23-11-2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Goldfish fry

My Fantails spawned about 3 weeks ago & I moved the pots with the eggs in to
a new area that has no adult fish.
There were hundreds originally, but now there only seems to be about 40 or
so.
I have found a lot of dead or nearly dead fry in the last week. We have had
some very extreme weather here in Sydney & am wondering maybe the heat
killed them? (For two days it was over 38c).
The ones that have survived seem to have tripled in size, so could it just
be a case of 'survival of the fittest'?
Ta
Pat

Old 23-11-2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.ponds

PatC wrote:
My Fantails spawned about 3 weeks ago & I moved the pots with the eggs in to
a new area that has no adult fish.
There were hundreds originally, but now there only seems to be about 40 or
so.

Time for toilet burial.

Old 23-11-2006, 01:15 PM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 21:41:14 +1100, "PatC" wrote:

I have found a lot of dead or nearly dead fry in the last week. We have had
some very extreme weather here in Sydney & am wondering maybe the heat
killed them? (For two days it was over 38c).
The ones that have survived seem to have tripled in size, so could it just
be a case of 'survival of the fittest'?

My comets seem to tolerate weather/pond extremes better than my koi,
but ambient temperatures that high can cause the water temperature to
rise so high as to prevent the water from holding enough oxygen.
(Cold water holds more oxygen than warm water.) I keep water lilies
in the pond for the shade they produce in an effort to keep the water
temperature down. I also have an air pump releasing small bubbles
into the pond to keep the oxygen supply up. I'm in Georgia, USA and
we experience more 38c or 100F days than in the past.

I don't really know what is happening to your fry, I've never
purposely raised any. I do know the one's we buy in stores here
sometimes have a high mortality rate. I have a few accidental fry
(comet shubunkin) every year and they are surprising. One of the
most surprising things about them was, I continually found a couple in
the filter barrel and carefully placed them back into the pond, but
began to notice the one's in the filter barrel were growing faster
than the one's in the open pond.

Regards,

Hal
Old 23-11-2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.ponds

*Note: There are several *Koi-Lo's* on the pond and aquaria groups.

"PatC" wrote in message
My Fantails spawned about 3 weeks ago & I moved the pots with the eggs in
a new area that has no adult fish.
There were hundreds originally, but now there only seems to be about 40 or
so.

It's hard to suggest anything Pat without knowing how many fry and how many
gallons the fishless area is. They starve quickly if there isn't enough
minuscule food for them all. If the water temperature drops rapidly and low
enough many will die. That happened to us one year. Our fry have survived
water temps as high as 98 F. Shade the area where they are if it's real hot
and sunny. Keep the water gentlly moving by adding an air-stone at one end.

I have found a lot of dead or nearly dead fry in the last week. We have
had
some very extreme weather here in Sydney & am wondering maybe the heat
killed them? (For two days it was over 38c).

Are they out in the sun? How deep and how many gallons is the area you have
them in?

The ones that have survived seem to have tripled in size, so could it just
be a case of 'survival of the fittest'?

No. Few die when conditions are right for them.

--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-11-2006, 04:28 AM posted to rec.ponds

My Fantails spawned about 3 weeks ago & I moved the pots with the eggs in to
a new area that has no adult fish.
There were hundreds originally, but now there only seems to be about 40 or
so.
I have found a lot of dead or nearly dead fry in the last week. We have had
some very extreme weather here in Sydney & am wondering maybe the heat
killed them? (For two days it was over 38c).
The ones that have survived seem to have tripled in size, so could it just
be a case of 'survival of the fittest'?
Ta
Pat

That's what you have going on, and unfortunately it will be many of the
reverted back to single tails that will grow the best. I hope you have a
filter and extra air running? ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Goldfish Fry KerplunKuK Ponds (alternative) 2 23-07-2005 12:14 PM
goldfish fry overwinter Skippy Ponds 3 21-09-2003 11:05 PM
Goldfish fry question - pond Nicole Thompson Ponds 6 16-08-2003 05:02 PM
Goldfish fry question - pond Nicole Thompson Ponds (alternative) 2 16-08-2003 05:02 PM
Goldfish fry question - pond Nicole Thompson Ponds 0 12-08-2003 01:42 AM