Old 07-01-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default Rec.ponds.moderated moderation policy - to ban or not

I think a ban would be perfect for this group. I know who would be
first and foremost to get banned also. CArol,. thats who as she can
not keep her vile mouth under control for 1 second.

On 7 Jan 2007 06:41:53 -0800, "Lieken" wrote:

Very good. You have an Idea of what Carol will do.

Gill Passman wrote:
I've been lurking for a while and reading the ongoing discussions and it
appears to me one of the major hiccups is whether the moderatoration
team adopts a policy of banning offenders....so I thought it might be
appropriate to open a topic exclusively devoted to this.....my thoughts:_

1. When I was part of a team looking at proposing an RFD for a moderated
group (not rec.ponds) we did include some line about banning repeat
offenders.....on a sliding scale....from the discussions I've seen I no
longer believe that this is a workable option

2. Because an offender can easily nym shift, obtain throw away email
addies or indeed swop IP Addresses (just going down to the internet
cafe) it would be extremely hard for the moderation team to keep on top
of someone determined to disrupt the group just by banning them.

3. The only viable option that I see is to moderate on content.....if a
"disrupter" of a group cannot post this stuff they will lose interest
(well hopefully) - they might try for a bit but a determined moderation
team can hit delete very quickly....

4. In no way should disagreements on theory or someone's experience be
viewed as trolling......it is so easy to claim that someone who takes an
opposing view is a troll.....any claims such as these should be
rejected.....

5. Someone, who has demonstrated trolling tendencies in the past, should
be allowed to post if they are on topic and not attacking others....

In a nutshell, I think a banning or suspension policy would be a great
burden on a moderation team.....rejecting on content, irrespective of
poster, is the fairest way to go....

Gill

-------