GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Black edges appearing on fins (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/15258-black-edges-appearing-fins.html)

Robert Liles 16-04-2003 11:33 PM

Black edges appearing on fins

Several of my goldfish are getting a black edge on the back of their
fins. Is this a sign of disease? Not all of the fish are affected. I
have just salted my pond if that affects the answer any.

Charles 16-04-2003 11:33 PM

Black edges appearing on fins

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 22:24:12 GMT, Robert Liles
wrote:

Several of my goldfish are getting a black edge on the back of their
fins. Is this a sign of disease? Not all of the fish are affected. I
have just salted my pond if that affects the answer any.

Usually means they are recovering from ammonia burns.

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others

John Rutz 17-04-2003 05:20 AM

--
I had goldfish that had that as thier natural coloor it usualy came on
when they were 2-3 in long some turned completly black over a years time

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

[email protected] 17-04-2003 05:20 AM

Black edges appearing on fins

recovering from ammonia burns. black is sign of healing. Ingrid

Robert Liles 18-04-2003 03:32 AM

Black edges appearing on fins

We tested the water and there is not now any ammonia. It tested zero.
We did however do a complete water change about 6 to 8 weeks ago so
maybe there was elevated ammonia in the water then.

Thanks for all the responses.

Bob

Robert Liles 19-04-2003 10:32 AM

Black edges appearing on fins

Are red eyes also a symptom of ammonia toxicity/recovery? One of my
goldfish's eyes have gotten visibly red.

Thanks