Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.ponds
sue sue is offline

Default koi died

Can anyone tell me why 4 large koi would die and 4 goldfish not?I have 8
fish in a holding tank for the winter and they all were fine and one day my
koi are dead ,no sign of disease or anything.The other smaller one are
fine.Were they getting too big?Needed more room?

Old 02-03-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.ponds

"sue" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me why 4 large koi would die and 4 goldfish not?

Lack of oxygen? Filtration lacking? Not enough partial water changes?
Ammonia or nitrite buildup?

I have 8
fish in a holding tank for the winter and they all were fine and one day
my koi are dead ,no sign of disease or anything.

How many gallons is this holding tank and exactly how large were the koi?

The other smaller one are
fine.Were they getting too big?Needed more room?

Can you give a little more information?

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds
sue sue is offline

I had the fish in a 100gal tank the 4 that died were -12 long the small
ones are 4-8 inches long,1000watt de-icer that kept the water nice at
45c.they didn't move around much because they are in hibernation.They were
in here since October.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:56 AM posted to rec.ponds

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:14:24 -0600, "sue" wrote:

Can anyone tell me why 4 large koi would die and 4 goldfish not?I have 8
fish in a holding tank for the winter and they all were fine and one day my
koi are dead ,no sign of disease or anything.The other smaller one are
fine.Were they getting too big?Needed more room?

I had the fish in a 100gal tank the 4 that died were -12 long the small
ones are 4-8 inches long,1000watt de-icer that kept the water nice at
45c.they didn't move around much because they are in hibernation.They were
in here since October.

Water quality would be my guess. Lack of O2, big fish die first. The only
way to know would be to have the water tested..... and depending how long
ago this happened, the cause may have dissipated by this time. ~ jan

Old 03-03-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.ponds
sue sue is offline

Sorry ,when I said the fish were in since October I hope no one read it as
the "dead" fish were there since then .Those were only in 1 day passed on
..Thanks for all your help .Greatly appreciated.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:45 PM posted to rec.ponds

No problems the creditabale folks here like Jan and Gill and Cat
Daddy and such all knew exactly what you were talking about. However
idiots like CArol Gulley aka Reel McKoi, well they misconstrue
everything anyhow and no one pays her any attention anyhow......

What is your waters parameters? Waas there a hole provided in the
ice?

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 08:05:59 -0600, "sue"
wrote:

Sorry ,when I said the fish were in since October I hope no one read it as
the "dead" fish were there since then .Those were only in 1 day passed on
.Thanks for all your help .Greatly appreciated.
m...

Old 03-03-2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

"~ jan" wrote in message

Water quality would be my guess. Lack of O2, big fish die first. The only
way to know would be to have the water tested..... and depending how long
ago this happened, the cause may have dissipated by this time. ~ jan

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 08:05:59 -0600, "sue" wrote:

Sorry ,when I said the fish were in since October I hope no one read it as
the "dead" fish were there since then .Those were only in 1 day passed on
.Thanks for all your help .Greatly appreciated.

I didn't read it like that, most people would remove dead fish. :-) What I
was saying was the cause could be gone due to ammonia/nitrite breaking
down. If you got a water sample within 3 days in cold weather that would
tell one a lot. Regardless, the water should be check, as it could have
been pH crash, which won't clear up on its own. ~ jan
Old 03-03-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.ponds

how much aeration was there? large fish die from lack of oxygen before little ones.
If ALL the koi died, then perhaps there is a koi only type of disease. cant think
what right now. Ingrid

"sue" wrote:

Can anyone tell me why 4 large koi would die and 4 goldfish not?I have 8
fish in a holding tank for the winter and they all were fine and one day my
koi are dead ,no sign of disease or anything.The other smaller one are
fine.Were they getting too big?Needed more room?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 03-03-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds

"sue" wrote in message
I had the fish in a 100gal tank the 4 that died were -12 long the small
ones are 4-8 inches long,1000watt de-icer that kept the water nice at
45c.they didn't move around much because they are in hibernation.They were
in here since October.

==========================
I'm sure if you check there was, or still is a lot of ammonia or nitrite in
the water. That's much to small a pond or tank to keep that many good size
fish in unless your filtration was excessive (huge cycled filter) or you had
a flow-through set-up. They may simply have suffocated.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds

STFU Carol Gulley your assinine opinion an duneducated guress is not
needed or required......The professinals have given the answer
soplease move on carol and keep on moving on..........do not pas GO
and do not collect $200.......go straight to hell were you belong....

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:50:25 -0600, "Reel McKoi"
foamed at the mouth and spurted: