Old 18-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Ted

Default Concrete Question

I am wondering how much the concrete will affect my PH. I want to build a
small stream, only 4 ft, and would like to use one 80lb bag of concrete to
set the large stones in. My pond already exists so I would not have any way
to rinse off the concrete with vinegar or anything. Is this going to be a
big problem? I would rather not use great stuff as the UV exposure it will
get will just break it down in a short time.

--
Thanks,
Lisa

Old 19-04-2003, 12:44 AM
RichToyBox

Lisa,

Give the concrete a light misting fog if possible for about a month for it
to develop its strength. After is has reacted if allowed to dry, the pores
in the concrete will be full of air, and this will keep the lime water in
the pores from being able to migrate to the surface and affect the pond,
very much. One bag shouldn't do that much anyway, but if the pH starts to
go into the high 8's, muratic acid can be used to lower the pH. A dilute,
about 10% muratic acid wash, just before turning the stream on, will remove
most of the lime that is one the surface making calcium chloride solution,
that is nontoxic.
--
RichToyBox

m...

Old 19-04-2003, 09:08 PM
JJ

"Ted" wrote:

I am wondering how much the concrete will affect my PH. I want to build a
small stream, only 4 ft, and would like to use one 80lb bag of concrete to
set the large stones in. My pond already exists so I would not have any way
to rinse off the concrete with vinegar or anything. Is this going to be a
big problem? I would rather not use great stuff as the UV exposure it will
get will just break it down in a short time.

Hi Lisa/Ted,

How big is your existing pond? If it is thousands of gallons, there is
less of an issue than if it were just a couple of hundred.

Also, why can't you do some kind of rinse treatment after the concrete
has been poured and cured? I mean it isn't going to hold any water
until you removed a bit from your existing pond or reroute some water
flow right?

Jay

Concrete question DR Lawns 3 20-07-2004 05:06 AM
concrete question AndyPaul Texas 2 20-05-2004 06:11 AM
a concrete planter question madgardener Gardening 3 18-05-2003 10:32 PM
Concrete Block Dan Ponds 5 07-03-2003 03:12 PM
Casting 'concrete' pots etc... Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 31-01-2003 03:40 AM