Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 AM posted to rec.ponds

Default Help wanted: Pump CONSTANTLY clogs

My pump constantly clogs up. In fact just today I hooked up a new pre-
screen to the filter and the damn pump was choking within an hour of
hooking the new thing up. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, this
pump constantly clogs up.

Use the protector that comes with the pump: it clogs.
Use the protector that comes with the pump and place the entire thing
into a large container wrapped in porch screening: it clogs.
Suck the water through a filter with filter media: it clogs
Suck the water through a filter without media: it floats
Add rocks to the empty pre-filter: Live Oak leaves squeeze through the
cracks and clog the filter.

Clog, clog, clog. Day after day, month after month, year after year.
I'm sick of it. All I ever do with my pond is repair that damn
clogged pump.

I'd like to know what the hell I need to do to put on the front of
this thing to keep it from clogging up, but I'd really like to know
why I am apparently the only person on the planet that has this
problem. No matter what pond supply store I look at they never have
any reasonable pre-screens for pumps. Most don't have anything at
all! Apparently this is not a big deal for people, but it's an
incredibly huge deal for me. This problem has resulted in fish deaths
on me in the past when the damn pump stopped in the middle of a hot
August night.

I also need ideas for what to do with my problem of having
incompatible equipment. Every damn pond thing that I own uses a
different sized tube, and even my filter uses one size on the input
and another size on the outflows. This is also driving me nuts
because I always have to do this stupid little dance to get things to
connect to each other.

Thanks for any ideas, including ideas for a new pump that pumps at
least 3000GPH and doesn't cost a fortune to run let me know.

Right now I have Microlift 02 releaser in my pond because I've given
up on getting this nonsense to work.