GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Turtles in Ponds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/15513-turtles-ponds.html)

Critical Popperian 19-04-2003 02:32 AM

Turtles in Ponds?

We keep finding turtles washed down from the veggie/lilly/lotus ponds down
in our square, inescapable large pond. Can turtles survive in a large
inescpable (for a turtle) pond? I.e., without a place to grab on to, can
they make it free floating?

K30a 19-04-2003 02:44 AM

Turtles in Ponds?

cp Can turtles survive in a large
inescpable (for a turtle) pond?

Is there a rock ledge in the pond?
What turtles need is place to bask so they can warm up their innards in order
to function.
Snappers will bask in shallow water but most other turtles need to get out and
bask at the edge of the pond.
If you can build an island that would work.
I built mine out of builder's brick and topped it with a wide shallow planter
full of creeping jenny and iris.
The turtles would float up and onto the island.

k30a

[email protected] 19-04-2003 03:08 AM

Turtles in Ponds?

In , on 04/18/03
at 09:21 PM, Critical Popperian said:

We keep finding turtles washed down from the veggie/lilly/lotus ponds

What kind of turtles are they?

Alan

**** Please use address to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564