GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   I need some instructions on how to dig my own pond (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/156017-i-need-some-instructions-how-dig-my-own-pond.html)

[email protected] 29-03-2007 02:44 PM

I need some instructions on how to dig my own pond

any website or book reccomendations?

i live in vermont with very clay soil
and want to dig a "big" pond for swimming in the summer
and skating in the winter.

excavator?
backhoe?
shovel?

help

Gary Woods 29-03-2007 03:20 PM

wrote:

i live in vermont with very clay soil
and want to dig a "big" pond for swimming in the summer
and skating in the winter.

How big is "big?"

Talk to the soil conservation people; they will likely have a list of
preferred contractors who have the needed capability. And there are other
factors, like the amount of watershed that feeds it vs. max rainfall in a
long period, which determines the spillway needed.

My 2/3 acre pond was built in 4 days by a maniac with a turbocharged D-6.
And yes, I know about clay...

~Roy~ 30-03-2007 03:31 AM

I need some instructions on how to dig my own pond

Fer chris sakes certainy your not that naieve are you? Personally if
I was you I woud use a teaspoon and measuring cup and make a career of
it!

-------

[email protected] 31-03-2007 12:02 AM

On Mar 29, 9:44 am, wrote:
any website or book reccomendations?

i live in vermont with very clay soil
and want to dig a "big"pondfor swimming in the summer
and skating in the winter.

excavator?
backhoe?
shovel?

help

all will work shovel with many people, but if you wish to keep your
sanity and your friends use a backhoe
Pete
http://www.relaxingdecor.com