GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   !*#$ing Heron ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/161584-%2A-%24ing-heron.html)

Martin Harran 11-07-2007 10:28 PM

!*#$ing Heron !

Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week :(

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

Reel McKoi[_6_] 12-07-2007 03:17 AM

!*#$ing Heron !

"Martin Harran" wrote in message
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron
cleaned it out last week :(

=========================
They (herons and kingfishers) just about cleaned our our ponds until we
bird-netted them. No more predation.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

adavisus 22-07-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Harran (Post 729400)
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week :(

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

Without fish rummaging around, stirring up anything that fits into their mouths, ponds with 60% plant coverage usually stabilise to gin clear water conditions after a few weeks

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/