Old 11-07-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default !*#$ing Heron !

Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

Old 12-07-2007, 03:17 AM posted to rec.ponds

"Martin Harran" wrote in message
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron
cleaned it out last week

=========================
They (herons and kingfishers) just about cleaned our our ponds until we
bird-netted them. No more predation.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Registered User

Location: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Harran View Post
Have my pond eight years, gradually built up to 24 fish - including 6 of
original fish I put in when I first built it - and a !*#$ing Heron cleaned
it out last week

Anyway, I've had a problem with murky water last few years, all tests
showing it ok* and no problem with sick or dying fish, I've put it down to a
probable combination of the pond getting too much sun and too few plants
for the number of fish.

I put in some extra plants last year and I'm wondering if I should now leave
the pond for a year with no fish to get rid of the murkiness in the water.
Any opinions on this?

(*I have a UV filtering system and there's a waterfall in the pond which
obviously helps the oxygenation)

Without fish rummaging around, stirring up anything that fits into their mouths, ponds with 60% plant coverage usually stabilise to gin clear water conditions after a few weeks

Regards, andy
http://www.members.aol.com/abdavisnc/swglist.html
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

Help ID'ing a tree - boxelder? dstvns Gardening 5 12-08-2003 02:22 PM
ball;ing on Aloha dave weil Roses 3 03-08-2003 07:42 PM
key for ID-ing insect larva in the pond K30a Ponds 1 01-08-2003 03:35 PM
How do I keep those *#$!@#ing ground squirrels from eating my sunflowers? Adam Schwartz Gardening 5 18-07-2003 11:32 PM
How do I keep those *#$!@#ing ground squirrels from eating my Heidi Gardening 0 17-07-2003 07:32 PM