Old 25-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Carola / Les

Default Bad bacteria questions.

We are all familiar with the 'good' bacteria that we try to cultivate in
filters and gravel etc. but where do the 'bad' bacteria lurk ?
How do we distinguish between 'good' and 'bad'?
Are they in the dead algae that is killed off by the uv light which then
appears to accumulate on the rocks and bottom ?
Is that the black slime that appears on the rocks?
How do we get rid of the 'bad' boys ?
Do we need to?
Les.

Old 25-04-2003, 12:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"Carola / Les" wrote in message
. ..
We are all familiar with the 'good' bacteria that we try to cultivate in
filters and gravel etc. but where do the 'bad' bacteria lurk ?
How do we distinguish between 'good' and 'bad'?
Are they in the dead algae that is killed off by the uv light which then
appears to accumulate on the rocks and bottom ?
Is that the black slime that appears on the rocks?
How do we get rid of the 'bad' boys ?

The good stuff has halo's and wheres's white robes. You'll find the bad
stuff in the corner of the pond, smoking, drinking and making lewd comments
to your koi.

BV.

Sorry...couldn't resist...

Old 26-04-2003, 12:56 AM
RichToyBox

Les,

There are all kinds of bacteria in the pond. There are ones we call good,
because they perform the nitrification processes. There are other good ones
that we put into the pond like KoiZyme (previously Lymnozime), and then
there are the ones that we put into the pond to break up the solids. If
there is enough solids to support the anaerobic bacteria, then they are bad
because they generate hydrogen sulfide which is highly toxic to the fish.
And then there are the disease bacteria, and they are always present, it
just takes some form of stress, such as parasites, scrapes, bad water, power
outage, etc. for the fish to allow them to start to grow. They are all
there, just not always actively doing their thing.
--
RichToyBox

. ..

Old 26-04-2003, 04:32 PM

Many of the good ones go bad when there isnt enough oxygen to continue making a
living aerobically. so they go anaerobic. I thought lymnozyme was an enzyme?
bacteria drift in on the wind, come in on bird feet and especially nasty bacteria
come in bird poop.
the problem with dumping bacteria to break up solids is to make sure what kind of
bacteria they are. the purple bacteria are sulfur bacteria and make H2S as a
fermentation product when they break down organics. always, always, when there are
organic wastes in the pond use excellent aeration! this will overcome most of the
problems. I really do recommend people forking over the 350+ for one of aquatic
ecosystems regenerative blowers if the pond is over 1000 gallons and get a couple of
those foot long sintered glass air stones (can be cleaned with muriatic acid!) to
really blow the air into the pond. It also brings the nasty gases right up and out
and creates a bottom to top circulation. Ingrid

Old 27-04-2003, 12:32 AM
Carola / Les

Thanks Ingrid. I now have a better understanding of the bacterial process as
I am sure many other 'readers' have. Les.