GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   algae (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/176949-algae.html)

tootseug 16-07-2008 10:17 PM

algae

I've got algae with all this hot weather. Suggestions?

[email protected] 17-07-2008 05:49 AM

algae

UV and a veggie filter. some shading helps too. Ingrid

Kathryn Selfe 17-07-2008 10:09 AM

Depending on the size of the pond it is easy to pull out yourself, however uv lighting soon gets rid of this. I needs to be removed or the fish get it stuck in their gills and thus will die

kathryn

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk
Quote:

Originally Posted by tootseug (Post 804356)
I've got algae with all this hot weather. Suggestions?

tootseug 18-07-2008 12:49 AM

algae

On Jul 16, 9:49*pm, wrote:
UV and a veggie filter. *some shading helps too. *Ingrid

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:17:04 -0700 (PDT), tootseug wrote:
I've got algae with all this hot weather. Suggestions?- Hide quoted text -

I know what the uv is but not the vegie filter. I do have shading, as
many, many waterlilies.

[email protected] 18-07-2008 11:03 PM

algae

do a google search for veggie filter koi pond
mine: http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/mypond.htm

basically, build a shallow box filled with water plants (celery and cyperus are good
bare root) and run water in one side or end, let the water fall back into the pond at
the other side/end. many people also use water hyacinth and water lettuce. the idea
is the plants pull the wastes out of the water. Ingrid

Peter Pan[_3_] 19-07-2008 12:29 AM

algae

try this:

http://www.wernersponds.com/veggiefilter.html

Pond Life 24-07-2008 03:08 AM

and this...
http://pond-life.me.uk/ponds/filtration/vegfilter.php

chip 31-07-2008 02:52 PM

algae

Pond Life wrote:
and this...
http://tinyurl.com/6gaheb

There may be life on this list after all.

The above mentions that his veggie filter comes after his mechanical
filter and his BIO filter. I thought the veggie filter is a bio filter.

If I have this straight, it goes like this-

pond mech bio veggie bottom overflows veggie top back to pond
via falls

What is the bio filtering, how is it doing it, and why is it needed with
a veggie filter?

Chip

[email protected] 31-07-2008 04:18 PM

algae

my veggie filter is my biofilter. I DO have a bucket that contains my pump and over
that is some filter material to mainly keep the pump from getting fouled with stuff.
but it also works in winter as a biofilter (I guess). I clean the bucket out in
spring and fall. I clean the veggie filter out in fall only. most just use a shop
vac to suction out the mulm (which goes right on to my flower beds!)

felixxrussell 23-04-2011 12:49 PM

You can use any good filter, then clean your tank in one or two week or products come in market for algae problem. Use it.