Old 28-04-2003, 10:20 PM
mikel

Default using transformer to power pump?

I'm trying to avoid the hassle of running 110v to a small water
feature. There's no easy, nearby electrical access, so I'm afraid an
electrician would cost some $$. Has anyone tried using a transformer
to convert to 12vac at an outdoor outlet, run low voltage cable to the
water feature, then used another transformer to step it back up to
120vac at the pump? Can you just buy two transformers and use one as a
stepdown, and another as a stepup? The pump is pretty small, so not a
lot of power is needed.
Old 29-04-2003, 12:20 AM
volts500

"mikel" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to avoid the hassle of running 110v to a small water
feature. There's no easy, nearby electrical access, so I'm afraid an
electrician would cost some $$. Has anyone tried using a transformer
to convert to 12vac at an outdoor outlet, run low voltage cable to the
water feature, then used another transformer to step it back up to
120vac at the pump? Can you just buy two transformers and use one as a
stepdown, and another as a stepup? The pump is pretty small, so not a
lot of power is needed.

Actually, installing a set up like that correctly, safely, and "legally"
would be more hassle than what it's worth.

OTOH, installing a 120 volt extension from that outdoor outlet to the water
feature isn't beyond the capabilities of most homeowners. I'm sure many
people in this NG have done same.
As an electrician, I'll be glad to tell you how to do it safely........or
post to alt.home.repair Also, if you aren't comfortable doing the
electrical work, you can at least install the electric cable, then call
the electrician for the hookup.

Here's a web site ran by an electrical inspector (his advice is very good
and detailed).
http://www.homewiringandmore.com/hom...ons/index.html
Scroll down and click on "self help forums"

Old 29-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Snooze

"mikel" wrote in message
om...
I'm trying to avoid the hassle of running 110v to a small water
feature. There's no easy, nearby electrical access, so I'm afraid an
electrician would cost some $$. Has anyone tried using a transformer
to convert to 12vac at an outdoor outlet, run low voltage cable to the
water feature, then used another transformer to step it back up to
120vac at the pump? Can you just buy two transformers and use one as a
stepdown, and another as a stepup? The pump is pretty small, so not a
lot of power is needed.

Transformers in general, and especially consumer grade transformers are
horribly inefficient, most of the electricity used in your proposed setup,
will be consumed as heat. Ever put your hand on a transformer and felt how
warm it gets?

To power a 3 amp pump motor at 120v a/c, you need 30 amps at 12v, which
means an 8 gauge wire.

You can save some money, by doing the basic, but labor intensive work
yourself. Dig a trench about 18" deep, lay conduit, send the wire through
it, hook up the gfi plugs. Then call an electrician and have 'em plug it
into the breaker or tap off another outlet.

Sameer