Old 02-05-2003, 12:56 AM
joe

Default Dead Koi question

Had a Koi die yesterday. I noticed he spent a lot of time in the waterfall
and he did seem a bit bloated. At about 4:00 he ate with the other goldfish
(alas, the blue "herring", got the all the other Koi ). At 6:00 he was belly
up. I've checked my levels and all are way fine. None of the other fish seem
ill.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Joe in San Diego

Old 02-05-2003, 06:08 AM

did you do any kind of physical on the dead fish? look at the gills, feel the slime
coat? it is really impossible to determine what the problem is. you are in
California, which means your pond could be quite warm. flukes are more of a problem
in warmer water. aeromonas and costia in cooler water (IIRC). in teh waterfall
points towards a gill problem. bloated sounds like dropsy. ah well. Ingrid

joe wrote:
Had a Koi die yesterday. I noticed he spent a lot of time in the waterfall
and he did seem a bit bloated. At about 4:00 he ate with the other goldfish
(alas, the blue "herring", got the all the other Koi ). At 6:00 he was belly
up. I've checked my levels and all are way fine. None of the other fish seem
ill. Joe in San Diego

Old 02-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Coffee

I live in PA. and have had one case of Bloat over 12yrs ago. Its a hard
disease to get rid of--some times its more humane to kill the fish. I was
told back then to always soak my fish food for 5 minutes before feeding--do
you do that? The floating pellets are very dry and do not digest very well
unless they are already soaked through. With bloat the fish can not go down
under the water without alot of exertion and cannot get enough air to
survive.
Patty

Old 02-05-2003, 07:44 PM
joe

Coffee wrote:

I live in PA. and have had one case of Bloat over 12yrs ago. Its a hard
disease to get rid of--some times its more humane to kill the fish. I was
told back then to always soak my fish food for 5 minutes before feeding--do
you do that? The floating pellets are very dry and do not digest very well
unless they are already soaked through. With bloat the fish can not go down
under the water without alot of exertion and cannot get enough air to
survive.
Patty

I always wondered about that. I have never soaked my pellets before, but I
guess it can't hurt. I have mosquito fish that seem to vacuum them up,
wonder what their stomachs feel like a few minutes later?

Thanks
Joe