Old 04-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Sue Alexandre

Default Too much flow!

Hi.
I have a 4,000 gallon pond and just rebuilt the waterfall, installed a
skimmer, and put a new pump in the skimmer. (guess we all go a little crazy
once spring finally gets here..... we try to make up for all the lost time
during the winter months!) Problem is, the new pump is TOO powerful, and
allows too much water onto the new watefall, causing it to splash too much
so I'm losing water that way. Try as I might to rebuild the waterfall, it's
just gushing out too fast from the bucket/biofilter. I guess the obvious
solution would be to put a diverter on the hose leading from pump/skimmer to
waterfall, but I have NOT been able to find a diverter for 1.5" hose!!!
Am I looking for something that is really that rare? Any leads would be
greatly appreciated, OR, any ideas on how else to cut down some of the flow
leading to the waterfall. I can't add a spitter or anything else until I
find a diverter. One source DID have a "T" connector for 1.5 inch, but then
what do I do with the third piece of 1.5 hose? I would then probably lose
ALL flow to the waterfall, since that is traveling uphill, and the new leg
of the "T" wouldn't be. Am I being a real ditz? I can't figure out this
solution.
Sue

Old 04-05-2003, 04:44 PM
BenignVanilla

"Sue Alexandre" wrote in message
[...]

I plumbed my whole pond with 4'' pipe. It was a pain in the arse, but is
great...anyway...My pump output is 1'', so I needed to step up to 4'' for
the outflow. In the pipe aisle at Home Depot, the guy helped me collect all
of the fittings I needed to step up from 1'' to 4''. It cost a few buck
because I basically had to use one of every damn fitting they had, *laugh*,
but it works great. Inline of this step up, I put a 1'' ball valve, so I can
restrict the pump output a bit if I need to. It works great. I am sure you
could to the same.

BV.

Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 AM
RichToyBox

Sue,

Go to HD or Lowes or similar and get a 1 1/2 inch T fitting, and a 1 1/2
inch ball valve. This will allow you to have the water split, part to the
waterfall, and the rest to anywhere else you might want. You can put in
another T fitting with reducers to the size that you would need for any
spitters that you might want. The pump can be slowed down with just the
ball valve, which could be put at the waterfall end of the pipe, which would
make it easy to adjust.
--
RichToyBox