Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default FROG KILLS KOI IN UK POND

On Saturday, 7 March 1998 08:00:00 UTC, Ian Taylor wrote:
My friend has a largish (approx. 800 gallon pond). In it there are
goldfish and koi. Lately he has found a couple of the bigger koi dead for
no apparent reason. Today he was in the garden when he saw a fish rolling
around in the pond. He netted it (a koi about 8 inches long) and on its
back was a large frog. The frog had to be prised off the fish, I assume it
was attempting to mate with the frog! This is not a joke, it is quite true.
Has anyone else seen this phenomenon and has it killed their fish?

Also the dead fish were at the bottom of the pond. What makes dead ones
float or sink? Is it gas like in most corpses, in this case in the swim
bladder?

Thanks

Ian

i to have just had to seperate a frog grasping hold of one of my koi it was on its back and holding on very tight had a problem getting it off my koi died iv had frogs in my pond with koi for 6 years no problem that i know of till today