GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Info Please (elephant ear) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/22439-info-please-elephant-ear.html)

REBEL JOE 14-05-2003 02:44 PM

Info Please (elephant ear)

I just read on post that elephant ear is poison to fish. I just bought
one for pond at pond plant shop. Why would they sell them if they poison
your fish. It's in my pond now,please tell me this is wrong.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Nedra 14-05-2003 03:32 PM

Info Please (elephant ear)

Joe, there is a list somewhere that has the plants that are
poisonous. Guess I'll google ..... later

Nedra

Nedra 14-05-2003 03:56 PM

Info Please (elephant ear)

Went to google - found several lists. One did not list either
Elephants' Ear or English Ivy. That's one I'll follow ;-)

Nedra

rthlink.net...

RichToyBox 14-05-2003 11:56 PM

Info Please (elephant ear)

I think elephant ear, and caladiums are related to the taro plant. I know
that I have had taro in my pond since its inception. It is on most lists as
a poisonous plant. The fish generally leave it alone, so I guess they are
smarter than people.
--
RichToyBox

"Nedra" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
Went to google - found several lists. One did not list either
Elephants' Ear or English Ivy. That's one I'll follow ;-)

Nedra

rthlink.net...

bern 15-05-2003 04:56 AM

Info Please (elephant ear)

(REBEL JOE) wrote in message ...
I just read on post that elephant ear is poison to fish. I just bought
one for pond at pond plant shop. Why would they sell them if they poison
your fish. It's in my pond now,please tell me this is wrong.

I have had an elephant's ear (Taro) in my pond for years. The fish are thriving.

REBEL JOE 15-05-2003 05:20 AM

Info Please (elephant ear)

OK thanks people was real worried. Love the plant but don't want to kill
my fish.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND