Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Audra

Default Some Pond Questions (Size, Care, Fish)

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered an old cement pond on my property and I was
hoping to get a few questions answered:

1. How do I calculate the size of the pond, in gallons? Its an odd
shape, so I don't know if the typical formulas apply. Its a kidney
bean shape with sloping sides. Its about 10 feet long by 4 feet wide
by 4 feet deep. But again with the sloping walls, I have no idea if
my pond is 400 gallons, or 1400 gallons.

2. I (probably like many people given the time of year and change in
temperature) am battling algae. Its not the string kind, rather the
pea soup kind, so I can't see the rocks at the bottom anymore, and I
can't see the fish. I have heard that the quickest and easiest
fix for this is to pour some beer in the pond each week - does anyone
have any experience with this, and if it works, how much should I put
in each week?

3. I have goldfish and now recently added koi too. I was told to not
feed the goldfish, but just let them eat the hyacinth. Is this true
for the koi too, or are there some type of pellets I should be using?

Thank you so much for your time,
Audra
Sacramento, CA