GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lotus question, newbie to lotus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/30219-lotus-question-newbie-lotus.html)

claude rogers 02-06-2003 05:32 PM

Lotus question, newbie to lotus

I bought a "Rosea" lotus, nelumbo nucifera, is what the tag says, I put it
in a 6 inch deep pot about 16 inches across, set it on a milkcrate so it's
about 4 inches below water surface, it was in what looked to be potting soil
or top soil in a 1 gallon container, left it in that stuff because they told
me the roots we very tender and easily damaged, surrounded it with yard
clay/soil and then covered the soil, not the growing parts, with pea gravel.
Fresh transplant so do I fertilize yet, it has four leaves, floaters, and
one new stem coming up after 3 days. How did I do with this, anything I
should change or do extra...Claude

D. S. 02-06-2003 05:56 PM

Lotus question, newbie to lotus

Lotus are heavy feeders. I inserted a bunch of pond plant fertilizer tabs
down in to the soil around my tubers just as soon as I planted them. They
are now sending up aerial leaves.

D.S.