Old 04-06-2003, 08:44 PM
rtk

Default upflow or downflow?

I put in a humungous filter behind my pond which is really ugly and
needs to be disguised somehow. Someone told me I should have used a
filter that can be placed in the tiny pond that makes the waterfall.
Someone else said that would be too labor intensive. Probably everyone
on the news group knows which is better and less work. I would
appreciate your opinions.

Ruth Kazez

Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM
BenignVanilla

"rtk" wrote in message ...
I put in a humungous filter behind my pond which is really ugly and
needs to be disguised somehow. Someone told me I should have used a
filter that can be placed in the tiny pond that makes the waterfall.
Someone else said that would be too labor intensive. Probably everyone
on the news group knows which is better and less work. I would
appreciate your opinions.

Ahhh, the age old question of Veggie filter or Mechanical filter. That is as
easy to answer as Coke or Pepsi...hmm...no...how about McDonalds or Burger
King? Hmm...no. OK, I guess it is NOT so easy.

I chose a VF combined with a Bottom Drain. My line of thinking says, BD
empties mulm from pond, mulm feeds plants and settles in VF. VF is shallow.
Once a year I will have to clean shallow pond, and hopefully never the main
pond. No Mechanical filtration means no filter materials to clean on a
weekly basis. This is all theory, as my pond is just months old.

BV.

Old 04-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

rtk wrote:
I put in a humungous filter behind my pond which is really ugly and
needs to be disguised somehow. Someone told me I should have used a
filter that can be placed in the tiny pond that makes the waterfall.
Someone else said that would be too labor intensive. Probably everyone
on the news group knows which is better and less work. I would
appreciate your opinions.

Ruth Kazez

Hi Ruth,
If you've spent much time here you'd realize everyone thinks
their filter is best;-) I remember your art work, but not
your pond. Could you post the url once again.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 04-06-2003, 10:20 PM
John Rutz

rtk wrote:
I put in a humungous filter behind my pond which is really ugly and
needs to be disguised somehow. Someone told me I should have used a
filter that can be placed in the tiny pond that makes the waterfall.
Someone else said that would be too labor intensive. Probably everyone
on the news group knows which is better and less work. I would
appreciate your opinions.

Ruth Kazez

How big is your pond?
personaly I would stick with the fiter you have IMHO the bigger filter
the better, can you disguise it with some sort of fence?
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 04-06-2003, 11:32 PM
rtk

Of course, I'm eager to post it again, but now I've changed the
waterfall. It's much more rocky. Also, I made all the pics clickable,
not just the final one. The bigger deeper pond is at least 2000 gallons
and the little first one is around 400.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...wPondPage.html

Ruth Kazez