Old 09-06-2003, 06:44 PM
John Rutz

Default project 2003 update

the vegi filter and TT's are working well, picked up a new test kit
yesterday as mine was over a year old, tested this am
Amonia and nitrites both 0
first time I actualy hit 0 usualy get .05PPM
Ph staying rock solid at 8
GH thouugh was up from last test 72 degrees or 1255.8 PPM

lost two more of the baby butterflys this week but I think I found the
culprit an 3 ft garter snake Just big enough to catch and hold them but
not big enough to swallow them the ones I thought had died while eating
he aparently had just released and they came up trying to breath
he has been relocated to a less hospitable home
far far away
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Lee Brouillet

John, so sorry about the babies: I know how much you were looking forward to
seeing them grow up. I *knew* there was a reason I didn't like snakes . . .

Your GH worries me: how did it get that high? How old is your test kit? I
find that the older they get, the more inaccurate they become, and usually
in a way that is pretty dramatic.

Your TT's have kicked in and are working: you're supposed to be at 0
nitrItes. That's one of the things they do so well!

Lee

Old 09-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

John Rutz wrote:
the vegi filter and TT's are working well, picked up a new test kit
yesterday as mine was over a year old, tested this am
Amonia and nitrites both 0
first time I actualy hit 0 usualy get .05PPM
Ph staying rock solid at 8
GH thouugh was up from last test 72 degrees or 1255.8 PPM

lost two more of the baby butterflys this week but I think I found the
culprit an 3 ft garter snake Just big enough to catch and hold them but
not big enough to swallow them the ones I thought had died while eating
he aparently had just released and they came up trying to breath
he has been relocated to a less hospitable home
far far away

Hope you have no more losses.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-06-2003, 12:56 AM
John Rutz

Lee Brouillet wrote:
John, so sorry about the babies: I know how much you were looking forward to
seeing them grow up. I *knew* there was a reason I didn't like snakes . . .

Your GH worries me: how did it get that high? How old is your test kit? I
find that the older they get, the more inaccurate they become, and usually
in a way that is pretty dramatic.

Your TT's have kicked in and are working: you're supposed to be at 0
nitrItes. That's one of the things they do so well!

Lee

the GH is absolutly on the mark,, that is perfectly normal for my water
if it goes hi it goes to 8.5 and no higher