Old 11-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Joe Blow

Default Easy to Clean Primary Filter?

Hey all,

Currently on our ~2500 Gal. Koi pond we have a white Matala
(http://www.pondpetsusa.com/matala.htm) primary filter in front of our
pump. Here is a picture of our filter:
http://www.nmsu.net/mick/viewphoto.phtml?photoid=174
Pics of the whole pond:
http://www.nmsu.net/mick/viewalbum.p...rrent_album=10

It does a great job of keeping algea/etc. out of our pump, but is difficult
to clean. This time of the year wish the fish spawning the amount of algea
kicked up we have to clean it everyday and it takes about 15 minutes each
time. Is anyone aware of a different filter material that is easier to
clean or a quick way to clean the Matala filters? Are we using a filter
that is too tight or catches too much material? Any help would be
appreciated.

Joe

Old 12-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Lee Brouillet

Dude, *nice* waterfall!

In my opinion, you *want* fine filtration! It traps everything before it
gets to your pump and gets chewed up. You have nice, clear water: why do you
think that happens? The more you can trap on the way in, the less you have
on the way out. Right now, I'm cleaning my skimmer filtration 2 X a day:
such is life! If you're looking to decrease the amount of time, you can try
the next size up on the Matala, but don't throw away the white (you may want
to go back). I'm not aware of anything easier to clean than Matala. Whereas
Matala is frequently used as biofiltration, the use you're putting it to is
not. Therefore, just pull it out, take it over to your garden hose and spray
the stuffing out of it! I wouldn't worry about dechlor or anything: just
spray, shake, and reinstall!

Lee

Old 17-06-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 12 Jun 2003 11:45:11 -0500, "Lee Brouillet" wrote:

I'm not aware of anything easier to clean than Matala.

Is this the plastic fiber I've also seen some flip-flops made out of?
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~