Old 14-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Hobbit

Default When to add fish?

Hello All
I've built a new pond (about 800 gals) and filled it with 50% water from my
old pond which has quite large fish (Orfe, Carp, tench, Comet). I'm
currently filtering (foams) this water to clarify it, reduce the algae (by
UV), and was planning to transfer the fish from the old pond quite soon.
Has anyone any comments about this?
The old pond has zero ammonia, and minimal nitrite - there is little forced
filtration through foam, so I expect most of the ammonia/nitrite
transformation is happening in the sediment. The new pond has no sediment,
obviously, and relies totally on filtration through bacteria-laden foams to
get rid of ammonia and nitrite.
Would a couple of weeks be enough to get the pond ready to accept the fish?
Temp is about 22 C max.

Thanks for any help.

Old 14-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Just Me \Koi\

I wouldn't expect you to need 2 weeks. As long as the well water does not
have any issue to resolve. What may help hasten the aging of the new pond
is to transfer some of your less expensive fish in their first to contribute
biological waste to feed the bacteria!

Pictures?

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Old 14-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Hobbit

Thanks for the advice - once I've finished landscaping the 'waterfall' area
I'll post some pics!

Old 21-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Hobbit

The water is really clear (pumped through external filter & UV), but the
pond liner is covered by a thin layer of what look like sand. However,
rubbing the 'sand' between my fingers releases a green colour!. It would
appear that the algae are being killed by the UV and are clumping together,
but are not being filtered out by the mechanical filtration (foams).
I'm using a Hozelock Bioforce 4500 system, and the 'pressure indicator'
shows that backpresure is building up (indicator is at about 50% of its
travel).
I wouldn't have thought that this could cause any water to by-pass the
foams, but I think it may be!
What does anyone else think?

"Hobbit" wrote in message
[...]

Looking to add some fish rob.smith4 Ponds 20 12-04-2004 09:03 PM
Should I bother to add co2? Jay Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 01-05-2003 03:44 PM
Ok to add KNO3 without others? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
When to add fish? Mainpin Ponds 1 22-03-2003 02:44 PM
Should I add rock, soil(mud) in my pond? John Ponds 3 08-03-2003 07:45 PM