Old 20-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Carl Beyer

Default Filtration Questions

I have a small koi pond - around 400 gallons at the most - It is
overstocked. One large Koi, one small koi, 9 small comets, and some
mosquito fish. The pond is reasonably new

It is a EPDM lined pond (I think EPDM)

I have a Becket 1200 pushing the waterfall 12 hours a day
I have a Becket Bio filter with a 350 GPH running 24 hours into a UV
sterilizer.

My problem is that the filters are now getting plugged every 2 to 3
days. I am not sure with what, I assume fish poop, uneaten food, and
stuff from the plants. When I wash the filters they are dark brown with
dirt like substance (it is not dirt).

I haven't tested in the last two weeks, but my water quality has been
pretty good. No serious preoblems.

But, I can't clean these filters every day. Once every couple of weeks
is ideal.

Anyone have any ideas on what kind of filter I could rig. Someone
recommended a fluidized bed filter. I see vegifilters, but my potential
locatoin is going to be in the shade - partial sun.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Oh, some photos cane be seen at

www.cobaltbluefilms.com/koi.html

Thanks again

Calr

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com
Old 21-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Jim Humphries

Having too many fish definitely overworks the filter. I have a 2000 gal
pond with a filter sized for about 6000 gal for that very reason. I bought
the big filter only after getting tired of cleaning the old filter every day
or two.

--
Jim and Sara Humphries, Victoria, BC