GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   deaths in family (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/34229-deaths-family.html)

Gunnar 26-06-2003 12:20 AM

deaths in family

something has been in my pond went away for vk and returned home to a empty
pond lost about 20 fish some as big as 24". believe it was a coon trying to
rap him in a haveaheart. wish me luck all. any one with tooo many fish close
to Rhode island like to make donation?

Hank Pagel 26-06-2003 12:20 AM

deaths in family

No extra fish but you do have my sympathy. I've been there and it does
make you angry. Good Luck getting back together.

John Rutz 26-06-2003 12:32 AM

deaths in family

--
;Im to far away but sorry to hear of your losses

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

~ Windsong ~ 26-06-2003 03:32 AM

deaths in family

In the last chapter: Gunnar picked up the keyboard and pecked out:
:: any one with tooo many fish close to Rhode island like to make
:: donation?
=========================
Please, before you get more predator "food" in the form of koi or goldfish -
do something to protect them! Once these predators had an easy meal
somewhere they will just keep coming back.
--
*.·´¨¨))
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))*

Denise 26-06-2003 03:56 AM

deaths in family

Sorry, I am too far away or I would love to help you out, There is
someone near me with too many koi. She's been giving them way. I didn't
take any because I have enough.

I can sure understand how upset and sad you are over the loss of your
fish!

Denise

Visit my gardens:

http://web1.in4web.com/mtcdrc

Just Me \Koi\ 26-06-2003 05:44 AM

deaths in family

I wonder if your neighbors are not helping yourself to your Koi. If you
think about it, 20 Koi of average 20" size. Too big for Heron to nab that
easily? Raccoons will leave bones or other stuff behind and probably will
not take 20 Koi in one day!

--
_______________________________________
like an eggs-and-ham breakfast:

Just Me \Koi\ 26-06-2003 07:44 AM

deaths in family

Oops! Meant to say themselves!

--
_______________________________________

Basil Malithorne 26-06-2003 12:44 PM

deaths in family

Just Me Koi wrote:
"I wonder if your neighbors are not helping yourself to your Koi. If you think about it, 20 Koi of average 20" size. Too big for Heron to nab that easily?"

A friend of ours had 40 Koi in his backyard pond in the range of 18"-24" and a Heron pulled a little more than 20 out of there. They had been in there for 15 years prior without any noticeable loss from predators and then WHAM! So yes, the Heron is a skilled fisherman. Beware.

Barefoot Malithorne

Gunnar 26-06-2003 07:44 PM

deaths in family

do heron eat it all or fly away? there was very little damage to pond and
only thing i found were some scales and fin bone. so not sure what is
getting them. i just put coyote urine around pond and have a have a heart
trap set out.( caught opossum but don't think he is the thief.) if there is
anyone in New England with too many fish need to cull i will give them good
new home