GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Strange Creatures II (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/34362-strange-creatures-ii.html)

Paul DeWolf 26-06-2003 09:20 PM

Strange Creatures II

Hi all,

I've got tiny creatures on our waterfall. They're less than 1/4" in size.
Here's a pictu http://home.attbi.com/~pdewolf/Photos/creatures.jpg.

I wouldn't think that they're mosquito larvae because they seem to crawl
around on the rocks, rather than be suspended in the water (if they were,
the waterfall would take them down into the pond).

I know the picture doesn't have enough detail, but even guesses would be
greatly appreciated!

Paul

Sam Hopkins 26-06-2003 09:32 PM

Strange Creatures II

Black flies? I had about 14.79 million of them on the outflow stream of my
rec pond. Needless to say they are now bird food. =)

K30a 26-06-2003 11:44 PM

Strange Creatures II

If they were in my pond...
I'd gather some up and keep them in a jar with new infusions of pond water
until they hatched...
bwa-ha-ha! ;-)

Looks like black fly larva to me also.

k30a

~ jan JJsPond.us 02-07-2003 08:56 PM

Strange Creatures II

On 26 Jun 2003 22:41:27 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Looks like black fly larva to me also.

So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite people?
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

K30a 03-07-2003 12:09 AM

Strange Creatures II

jan wrote So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite
people?

Fish, birds, frogs and predatory insects eat them.
tasty!

k30a

Anne Lurie 03-07-2003 12:33 AM

Strange Creatures II

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote:

So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite

people?
~ jan

Nothing, and YES, they do! You just don't notice it at the time -- until
you wonder how you got that hickey on your neck :(

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC