Old 26-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Paul DeWolf

Default Strange Creatures II

Hi all,

I've got tiny creatures on our waterfall. They're less than 1/4" in size.
Here's a pictu http://home.attbi.com/~pdewolf/Photos/creatures.jpg.

I wouldn't think that they're mosquito larvae because they seem to crawl
around on the rocks, rather than be suspended in the water (if they were,
the waterfall would take them down into the pond).

I know the picture doesn't have enough detail, but even guesses would be
greatly appreciated!

Paul

Old 26-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Sam Hopkins

Black flies? I had about 14.79 million of them on the outflow stream of my
rec pond. Needless to say they are now bird food. =)

Old 26-06-2003, 11:44 PM
K30a

If they were in my pond...
I'd gather some up and keep them in a jar with new infusions of pond water
until they hatched...
bwa-ha-ha! ;-)

Looks like black fly larva to me also.

k30a
Old 02-07-2003, 08:56 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 26 Jun 2003 22:41:27 GMT, ESPMER (K30a) wrote:

Looks like black fly larva to me also.

So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite people?
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 03-07-2003, 12:09 AM
K30a

jan wrote So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite
people?

Fish, birds, frogs and predatory insects eat them.
tasty!

k30a

Old 03-07-2003, 12:33 AM
Anne Lurie

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote:

So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite

people?
~ jan

Nothing, and YES, they do! You just don't notice it at the time -- until
you wonder how you got that hickey on your neck

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 03-07-2003, 07:20 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Will put them on my death list. ;o) ~ jan

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:16:31 GMT, "Anne Lurie" wrote:

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote:

So what are black flies good for, and most importantly do they bite

people?
~ jan

Nothing, and YES, they do! You just don't notice it at the time -- until
you wonder how you got that hickey on your neck

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Strange creatures Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 0 26-09-2006 10:02 PM
strange little creatures? gardeningroger United Kingdom 13 18-05-2006 01:32 PM
what are these creatures? mark w Ponds 4 14-05-2004 04:06 AM
Strange Pond Creatures Steve Ponds 24 25-06-2003 08:20 AM
Good pond creatures Scott Teetsel Ponds 5 20-06-2003 08:08 PM