Old 30-06-2003, 04:08 PM
John Rutz

Default re BGD/VGD

for those of you that have been following my problem with this Bacterial
/ viral Gill disease ( it first hit in 2000 still not sure what
actually causes it, originally it was called Israeli disease ) there is
no known cure but certain meds help if used in time

anyhow it runs about a month and thats where I am
so far I have lost 35 of my fish the ones that are left still have no
apetite some days they eat a little some days they ignore feed
altogether they seem to be subsiting on the string algae however
probably as it is easyer to digest.

the most recent demises are not showing active disease but do have
considerable gill dammage (necrosis of the gill tissues)

from the reading I have done I feel I am extremly lucky to have any fish
left at all

and to all that have supported me through this THANK YOU I realy
appreciate it

--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 30-06-2003, 09:33 PM
Nedra

John, this sounds dreadful!!! Sorry about your
troubles. You probably brought it in with new Koi ....
Awful ... Just awful

Nedra

Old 01-07-2003, 12:08 AM
John Rutz

Nedra wrote:
John, this sounds dreadful!!! Sorry about your
troubles. You probably brought it in with new Koi ....
Awful ... Just awful

thanks Nedra

yes it started with the introduction of nw fish, it doesnt matter where
the fish come from or if they have been thru quarantine (my new ones had
been thru three quarantines) its latent and for some unknown reason the
new ones start the cycle

Old 01-07-2003, 04:44 AM

This latest "gill rot" appears to be heat activated. Jan's method of having a canary
koi in with new ones and making sure the temp gets up to activation stage will catch
it. Unfortunately, it appears that once fish have had the disease they become
carriers and when the activation temp is hit they start shedding again. I hope this
isnt the one you have. They are saying it is a Herpes type virus. Ingrid

John Rutz wrote:
yes it started with the introduction of nw fish, it doesnt matter where
the fish come from or if they have been thru quarantine (my new ones had
been thru three quarantines) its latent and for some unknown reason the
new ones start the cycle

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

John,

I did not know you were looking at that problem. Bummer!

Jim

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per jogger) at:
www.jogathon.net
See our pond at: http://www.home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-jameshurley

Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 AM
John Rutz

Phyllis and Jim Hurley wrote:
John,

I did not know you were looking at that problem. Bummer!

Jim

--
thanks Jim
I think ( and my batries are low) that I can keep it under control with

Old 01-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Nedra

I'm glad I wasn't the only one in the dark here!

John, all good luck to you in treating your fish.
Sorry you have had such an awful time of it.

Nedra

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in
message ...