Old 06-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Brs36

Default Waterfall / sealant ideas?

Hi,
I've been into ponds for about 36 hours now. Here's my predicament /
challenge. I've got a small round 35 gallon pond, another 15 or so gallon round
pond at a lower position, and a connecting piece (like a small "streamcourse"
piece). In theory, the water will flow out of the 35 gallon tub, into the
connecting piece, fall into the 15 gallon and be pumped backup to the 35
gallon. The pieces are in correct placement in relation to each other, so
gravity can do its thing.

The problem is making it so that the the water can flow out of the 35 gallon
into the connecting piece at a sufficient rate of speed to keep up with the
incoming water. After various other attempts, I cut a 2"depth X4" wide knotch
in the edge of the 35 pond. In other words I removed a 2/4 section of the "lip"
of the pond. I wanted to use some pond liner to form a fall over this lip and
into the connecting piece. I've held the liner in place with my hand and the
waterflow seems perfect.

Is there a way that I can secure the piece of pond liner to the inside of the
35 gallon pond so that water cannot get in underneath and drip out on the
ground? The knotch allows ample water flow, but I need to find a way to direct
it over the liner-covered knotch. Are there sealants, tapes, glues, or
whatever that I can use? Also, the piece of liner is kind of thick an bulky,
so conforming it to the knotch is tricky. Is there a way to fold this to help
it lay flatter? Are there better liner materials for this type of thing?

Thanks for any help with this.

Brennan

Remove the Nojunk from the email address to reply to the email address.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:46 PM
Matt the Rat

Brs36 wrote:

Is there a way that I can secure the piece of pond liner to the inside of the
35 gallon pond so that water cannot get in underneath and drip out on the
ground?

For a similar thing for my last pond I just used normal white silcone
sealent. Allow 24 hours to cure before applying water to remove the risk
of any fungacides being washed into the water.

I suspect any flexible sticky stuff in a tube would do the job.

--
Matt Helliwell
Matt at Matt The Rat dot com