GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water celery (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/36050-water-celery.html)

John Rutz 09-07-2003 10:07 PM

water celery

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

joe 09-07-2003 10:21 PM

water celery

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

joe 09-07-2003 10:34 PM

water celery

joe wrote:

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

But wait. Water celery could also be Oenanthe javanica.
Guess we should always use botanical names.

Joe

Bonnie Espenshade 10-07-2003 12:29 AM

water celery

joe wrote:
joe wrote:

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

But wait. Water celery could also be Oenanthe javanica.
Guess we should always use botanical names.

Joe

That is the name that I recognize.

--
Bonnie
NJ

John Rutz 10-07-2003 12:30 AM

water celery

joe wrote:
joe wrote:

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

But wait. Water celery could also be Oenanthe javanica.
Guess we should always use botanical names.

Joe

the Oenanthe Jaanica is what we use and call water celery

Anne Lurie 10-07-2003 12:30 AM

water celery

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...er_celery.html lists
Water Celery as Vallisneria americana.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV149 lists Water Celery as Oenanthe javanica D.C.
or O. stolonifera Wall

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

John Rutz 10-07-2003 01:11 AM

water celery

Anne Lurie wrote:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...er_celery.html lists
Water Celery as Vallisneria americana.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV149 lists Water Celery as Oenanthe javanica D.C.
or O. stolonifera Wall

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

thanks annie

we were wondering if it was edible, now I know what to do wth the tops
at the end of ponding season :-) greens

[email protected] 10-07-2003 04:20 AM

water celery

http://home.wi.rr.com/windyoaks/catalog/cat2001.htm
Oenenthe javanica (Rainbow Pastel Celery)
Bold white, lavender, pink, and green leaves, airy white
blossoms, and ---a great filter plant. 1'height, 0-6"depth

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.