Old 09-07-2003, 10:07 PM
John Rutz

Default water celery

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 09-07-2003, 10:21 PM
joe

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

Old 09-07-2003, 10:34 PM
joe

joe wrote:

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

But wait. Water celery could also be Oenanthe javanica.
Guess we should always use botanical names.

Joe

Old 10-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Bonnie Espenshade

joe wrote:
joe wrote:

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

But wait. Water celery could also be Oenanthe javanica.
Guess we should always use botanical names.

Joe

That is the name that I recognize.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 AM
John Rutz

joe wrote:
joe wrote:

John Rutz wrote:

any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)

John,

That is the correct botanical name for water celery.

Joe

But wait. Water celery could also be Oenanthe javanica.
Guess we should always use botanical names.

Joe

the Oenanthe Jaanica is what we use and call water celery

Old 10-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Anne Lurie

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...er_celery.html lists
Water Celery as Vallisneria americana.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV149 lists Water Celery as Oenanthe javanica D.C.
or O. stolonifera Wall

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 10-07-2003, 01:11 AM
John Rutz

Anne Lurie wrote:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...er_celery.html lists
Water Celery as Vallisneria americana.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MV149 lists Water Celery as Oenanthe javanica D.C.
or O. stolonifera Wall

Good luck!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

thanks annie

we were wondering if it was edible, now I know what to do wth the tops
at the end of ponding season :-) greens

Old 10-07-2003, 04:20 AM

http://home.wi.rr.com/windyoaks/catalog/cat2001.htm
Oenenthe javanica (Rainbow Pastel Celery)
Bold white, lavender, pink, and green leaves, airy white
blossoms, and ---a great filter plant. 1'height, 0-6"depth

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Sam Hopkins

It's valsenaria americana if you talk to any wildlife enforcement officer.

"John Rutz" wrote in message
any one know off hand the botanical name for the water celery we have

I was just told by an online nursury that water celery is valsenaria
americana and is a submergent grass. huh
( was complaining to them that the plant they sent was not water celery)
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

how invasive is your water celery? mike miller Ponds 4 29-05-2003 03:32 PM
water fern (azolla); was water celery zookeeper Ponds 10 23-03-2003 03:20 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 2 18-03-2003 02:44 AM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
water celery LRobi31070 Ponds 0 17-03-2003 10:42 PM