Old 12-07-2003, 03:20 AM
K30a

Default Dragon Flies

You'd have to work at it to get bit by a
dragonfly. They do have tearing jaws to
mangle mosquitoes into edible bits.
They use their front legs as a basket into
which they sweep their insect prey, then
chew them up on the fly.
Damselflies must perch on a plant stem before
consuming their mosquito or gnat or mayfly.

k30a
Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 AM
Nedra

I have watched them ... but from afar - like from inside the
slider! I noticed that they perch on the grasses and plants
that overhang the pond. Also noticed that they dip their
rear in the pond on occasion. Now I'll get closer and
maybe have one of them light on my arm or finger??
Thanks for info, folks!!

Nedra

Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
jammer

Since ya'll are taking about dragonflies, let me share a one time
experience i had. Last year i was up very early and went outside. This
is told better if you could see the lay out of my yard, but there were
? 30 or so dragonflies flying in sort of a figure eight over and over
and over in the same space like they were caged in. Every once in a
while they would dip into the hot tub for water. I stood there and
watched it until i had to leave. I never knew if they were migrating
or what. I think it was spring. It wasn't winter or summer.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:20 AM
sandra

"Nedra" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I have watched them ... but from afar - like from inside the
slider! I noticed that they perch on the grasses and plants
that overhang the pond. Also noticed that they dip their
rear in the pond on occasion. Now I'll get closer and
maybe have one of them light on my arm or finger??
Thanks for info, folks!!

Nedra

Nedra,
When their dipping their butts in the pond, they are laying eggs which sink
to bottom. Those that hatch are the little guys that can attach to very
small fish to feed from them. That part I try not to think about as I'm
watching their activities. I think they are a pretty addition to a garden.
Sandra :)

Old 12-07-2003, 04:32 AM
sandra

At least your teaching them yourself which is a good way to get a start. My
much loved dad taught me to drive but unfortunately it was in a 60's Chevy
stationwagon with very loose steering and stomp hard brakes . When I
followed that up with drivers training in a new car ( this was in '75),
within the first block I managed to oversteer all the way down the street
and stomp the brakes sending the 2nd kid waiting her turn from the back seat
almost into the front seat with me and the instructor.
sandra :)

"K30a" wrote in message

I managed to save the mirror by grabbing it and pulling it in before it

hit the
utility trailer in our driveway.

She says that 'EEEEEEEeeeeeeeee!!!' does not convey enough information.

As an aside each of the twins managed to blow out a tire on practice

drives.
Son while at 40 mph on a gravel road (love those Volvos) and daughter

said, 'is
the tire supposed to be hissing?' when we changed drivers.

I have one more teenager to go...

k30a

Old 12-07-2003, 04:44 AM
Nedra

EEEwwwwwww .... Oh well... everything has its
"not so good" side I suppose. I just wont think about
that.

Nedra

"sandra" wrote in message

thlink.net...

Old 12-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Charles

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:26:22 -0700, "bobkiely"
wrote:

While I was out looking at my greening lily leaves, one of my favorite
creatures came flying by and landed on the cattail fronds. This is a
magnificent specimen as his body is about 1/2" wide and about 3" long and is
the brightest organgish-red you can imagine. He looks like he just came from
the paint shop and somebody has been waxing him for hours.

I've been looking for a photograph of him or his species for a 1/2 hour on
the www and nothing I found comes close to the color of this guy.

The other day when I was out there, he was there and a smaller miniature
version of him was there also...this one was a brilliant indigo blue.

One of the reasons I went to the internet before was to see if I could find
any data on the life cycle of dragon flies as I know this will sound stupid
but there was an exact replica of this guy who frequented my pond last year.
Couldn't be the same one could it? Remember, I'm in southern California - no
freezing allowed here. (At least at my elevation.)

for California, try this link

http://www.sonic.net/~bigsnest/Pond/Lists/

--

- Charles
-
Old 12-07-2003, 06:08 AM
John Rutz

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:
joe wrote:

K30a wrote:

And one was racing my 17-yr-old daughter as she was learning to
drive. Even
quail were out distancing her ;-)

That probably won't last long.

The first time I drove with my daughter on the freeway after she got her
license I about s**t my pants. That feeling of invulnerability when
you're
17 is scary.

Joe

I remember teaching my daughter to drive. I taught her to parallel
park, to make "k" turns and then refused to take her on the road. That
was her Dad's job. I've only recently started to ride with her and
she's 32 ;-)

--

after i tought my daughter to drive I let her take us to uncle charles
she took out his ranch gate 6 mos later she totaled the car

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 12-07-2003, 06:20 AM
John Rutz

"K30a" wrote in message

You'd have to work at it to get bit by a
dragonfly. They do have tearing jaws to
mangle mosquitoes into edible bits.
They use their front legs as a basket into
which they sweep their insect prey, then
chew them up on the fly.
Damselflies must perch on a plant stem before
consuming their mosquito or gnat or mayfly.

k30a

I have had damsel flys land on me but never a dragon fly
the damsels land everywhere in around the pond but the dragons just do
flybys they dont even land to deposit eggs just swoop and drag tail in
the water and off they go

Old 12-07-2003, 09:32 PM
Anne Lurie

Here's a link to the Dragonflies section at Troy's Photo Gallery
http://troyb.com/photo/gallery/section25.htm -- you might want to check
out the Flame Skimmer photo.

I like the photos on this website a lot; in fact, I'm even on the mailing
list to be notified when he updates the website.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

"bobkiely" wrote in message
[...]

Problems with Dracaena marginata (dragon Tree) mbelcher68 Gardening 0 15-10-2005 05:41 PM
Dragon Flies Mating Over Pond bbrown9506 Ponds 6 28-07-2005 05:35 AM
Dragon Flies bobkiely Ponds 5 11-07-2003 11:40 PM
Dragon's Gate? Quaggy United Kingdom 0 03-07-2003 10:38 PM
Begonia Dragon Wing Wishy13764 Gardening 2 10-05-2003 08:20 PM