GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sonic device work? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/36532-sonic-device-work.html)

infoseeker 14-07-2003 07:42 AM

sonic device work?

I went to the nursery where I got my coyote urine, and talked to them some
more. They sort of turned their eyes sideways when I asked if it really
worked. Then some statement like, "well, if you have coyotes in your area,
then it will work." I refrained from saying well, if they're in my area, I
wouldn't need the urine. At any rate, they recommended a sonic noisemaker
thing. Has anyone tried it?

They claim to use it themselves (I saw the box). Years ago I tried one from
Costco for moles, and it didn't do anything. My family thinks it's a bad
idea based on that. Electric fencing seems way over kill for a whiskey
barrel water garden!

Thanks!
B-- infoseeker

K30a 14-07-2003 03:54 PM

sonic device work?

I would not use a sonic device.
Even if they did work. I always worry
about overkill and the possibility that some
poor dog will be getting the 'effects' and not
be able to get away (like the poor dog on our
street sentenced to live in a tiny concrete
run).

k30a

BenignVanilla 14-07-2003 04:19 PM

sonic device work?

"infoseeker" reply by post thx wrote in message
I went to the nursery where I got my coyote urine, and talked to them some
more. They sort of turned their eyes sideways when I asked if it really
worked. Then some statement like, "well, if you have coyotes in your

area,
then it will work." I refrained from saying well, if they're in my area,

wouldn't need the urine. At any rate, they recommended a sonic noisemaker
thing. Has anyone tried it?

They claim to use it themselves (I saw the box). Years ago I tried one

from
Costco for moles, and it didn't do anything. My family thinks it's a bad
idea based on that. Electric fencing seems way over kill for a whiskey
barrel water garden!

If by sonic device you mean the crack of a .22 caliber bullet exiting the
barrel of a rifle, then yes, they work.

BV.

John Rutz 14-07-2003 04:59 PM

sonic device work?

K30a wrote:
I would not use a sonic device.
Even if they did work. I always worry
about overkill and the possibility that some
poor dog will be getting the 'effects' and not
be able to get away (like the poor dog on our
street sentenced to live in a tiny concrete
run).

k30a

I had two of those sonic mole chasers in my gardens they didnt seem to
bother the dog she had a hole she slept in right by one of them
it did seem to keep the moles or gophers away though I never saw what
was doing the digging so not sure what i was
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

infoseeker 14-07-2003 06:42 PM

sonic device work?

Well, my neighbor's already think I'm strange. I wonder if sitting in the
driveway with a .22 would change their opinion!
*LOL*

Kevin Carbis 14-07-2003 08:52 PM

sonic device work?

I tried one, worked great on my wife and daughter, they wouldn't go
near the pond once it was installed. It worked on the Racoons as
well, but since my wife is the one that spends the most time by the
pond it was untenable for us.

bobkiely 14-07-2003 09:02 PM

sonic device work?

IFSKR: Hey....I might have rushed to judgement about the coyote urine when I
said it doesn't work....I'm now undecided. I didn't take it back like I
said I was going to and it has been there for 8 days and he only came back
the one time.

I'm going to let it ride a little longer before I make up my mind. As you
may have seen me write...we DO have coyotes here.
BK

bobkiely 14-07-2003 09:22 PM

sonic device work?

Sorry about the duplicate/multiple posts. When I sent them I got an error
message saying they didn't go through so I re- did it and same message so I
re-did.....I'm doing it again aren't I....Sorry nevermind...:-)
BK

joe 14-07-2003 09:52 PM

sonic device work?

bobkiely wrote:

Sorry about the duplicate/multiple posts. When I sent them I got an error
message saying they didn't go through so I re- did it and same message so I
re-did.....I'm doing it again aren't I....Sorry nevermind...:-)
BK

Sorry. You're off the NG.

Hank Pagel 14-07-2003 10:22 PM

sonic device work?

I used one made to repel rodents only and it did not work. Squirrels
built a nest in my garage three feet from it. If it would have kept my
wife out of MY garage I would have kept it. ;-)

John Hines 15-07-2003 02:48 AM

sonic device work?

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

Unless your an excellent marksman, a short barrel shotgun is the
preferred weapon. A discussion in another newsgroup about home security
came up with that as "the ultimate point and shoot weapon".

For "Varmits" a small bore gun will do, as the sound of the shotgun
chambering should be enough to stop any two legged night crawler in
their tracks.

K30a 15-07-2003 02:56 AM

sonic device work?

Sorry. You're off the NG.

You can earn your way back by
mailing us each a nice lotus plant.
;-)

k30a

John Rutz 15-07-2003 03:55 AM

sonic device work?

Unless your an excellent marksman, a short barrel shotgun is the
preferred weapon. A discussion in another newsgroup about home security
came up with that as "the ultimate point and shoot weapon".

For "Varmits" a small bore gun will do, as the sound of the shotgun
chambering should be enough to stop any two legged night crawler in
their tracks.

-- short bareled shotguns are usualy illegal in the US