Old 14-07-2003, 07:42 AM
infoseeker

Default sonic device work?

I went to the nursery where I got my coyote urine, and talked to them some
more. They sort of turned their eyes sideways when I asked if it really
worked. Then some statement like, "well, if you have coyotes in your area,
then it will work." I refrained from saying well, if they're in my area, I
wouldn't need the urine. At any rate, they recommended a sonic noisemaker
thing. Has anyone tried it?

They claim to use it themselves (I saw the box). Years ago I tried one from
Costco for moles, and it didn't do anything. My family thinks it's a bad
idea based on that. Electric fencing seems way over kill for a whiskey
barrel water garden!

Thanks!
B-- infoseeker

Old 14-07-2003, 03:54 PM
K30a

I would not use a sonic device.
Even if they did work. I always worry
about overkill and the possibility that some
poor dog will be getting the 'effects' and not
be able to get away (like the poor dog on our
street sentenced to live in a tiny concrete
run).

k30a
Old 14-07-2003, 04:19 PM
BenignVanilla

"infoseeker" reply by post thx wrote in message
I went to the nursery where I got my coyote urine, and talked to them some
more. They sort of turned their eyes sideways when I asked if it really
worked. Then some statement like, "well, if you have coyotes in your

area,
then it will work." I refrained from saying well, if they're in my area,

wouldn't need the urine. At any rate, they recommended a sonic noisemaker
thing. Has anyone tried it?

They claim to use it themselves (I saw the box). Years ago I tried one

from
Costco for moles, and it didn't do anything. My family thinks it's a bad
idea based on that. Electric fencing seems way over kill for a whiskey
barrel water garden!

If by sonic device you mean the crack of a .22 caliber bullet exiting the
barrel of a rifle, then yes, they work.

BV.

Old 14-07-2003, 04:59 PM
John Rutz

K30a wrote:
I would not use a sonic device.
Even if they did work. I always worry
about overkill and the possibility that some
poor dog will be getting the 'effects' and not
be able to get away (like the poor dog on our
street sentenced to live in a tiny concrete
run).

k30a

I had two of those sonic mole chasers in my gardens they didnt seem to
bother the dog she had a hole she slept in right by one of them
it did seem to keep the moles or gophers away though I never saw what
was doing the digging so not sure what i was
--

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 14-07-2003, 06:42 PM
infoseeker

Well, my neighbor's already think I'm strange. I wonder if sitting in the
driveway with a .22 would change their opinion!
*LOL*

Old 14-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Kevin Carbis

I tried one, worked great on my wife and daughter, they wouldn't go
near the pond once it was installed. It worked on the Racoons as
well, but since my wife is the one that spends the most time by the
pond it was untenable for us.
Old 14-07-2003, 09:02 PM
bobkiely

IFSKR: Hey....I might have rushed to judgement about the coyote urine when I
said it doesn't work....I'm now undecided. I didn't take it back like I
said I was going to and it has been there for 8 days and he only came back
the one time.

I'm going to let it ride a little longer before I make up my mind. As you
may have seen me write...we DO have coyotes here.
BK

Old 14-07-2003, 09:22 PM
bobkiely

Sorry about the duplicate/multiple posts. When I sent them I got an error
message saying they didn't go through so I re- did it and same message so I
re-did.....I'm doing it again aren't I....Sorry nevermind...:-)
BK

Old 14-07-2003, 09:52 PM
joe

bobkiely wrote:

Sorry about the duplicate/multiple posts. When I sent them I got an error
message saying they didn't go through so I re- did it and same message so I
re-did.....I'm doing it again aren't I....Sorry nevermind...:-)
BK

Sorry. You're off the NG.

Old 14-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Hank Pagel

I used one made to repel rodents only and it did not work. Squirrels
built a nest in my garage three feet from it. If it would have kept my
wife out of MY garage I would have kept it. ;-)

Old 15-07-2003, 02:48 AM
John Hines

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

[...]

Unless your an excellent marksman, a short barrel shotgun is the
preferred weapon. A discussion in another newsgroup about home security
came up with that as "the ultimate point and shoot weapon".

For "Varmits" a small bore gun will do, as the sound of the shotgun
chambering should be enough to stop any two legged night crawler in
their tracks.
Old 15-07-2003, 02:56 AM
K30a

Sorry. You're off the NG.

You can earn your way back by
mailing us each a nice lotus plant.
;-)

k30a
Old 15-07-2003, 03:55 AM
John Rutz

Unless your an excellent marksman, a short barrel shotgun is the
preferred weapon. A discussion in another newsgroup about home security
came up with that as "the ultimate point and shoot weapon".

For "Varmits" a small bore gun will do, as the sound of the shotgun
chambering should be enough to stop any two legged night crawler in
their tracks.

-- short bareled shotguns are usualy illegal in the US

Work, Work, Work Hud Edible Gardening 21 10-05-2007 12:23 AM
High-frequency sonic device for pest control? Phisherman Gardening 2 07-08-2006 05:27 PM
Sonic Device Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann North Carolina 6 06-04-2004 09:36 PM
Sonic Device Victor & Toni Jo Friedmann North Carolina 4 06-04-2004 09:36 PM
sonic device work? OT bobkiely Ponds 3 15-07-2003 10:18 PM