GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Baby koi or goldfish? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/36782-baby-koi-goldfish.html)

Sue Alexandre 16-07-2003 06:20 AM

Baby koi or goldfish?

Hi.
I found some fish eggs on one of my plants a few weeks ago, so I took the plant from the big koi and golfish pond and put it in the new, smaller turtle pond. I figured when the goldfish hatched, it would be good food for the turtles. Today I noticed about 10 baby fish (no more than 1/2 long) and all of them are colors (white, yellow, orange) Does this mean they are baby koi instead of baby goldfish? I think I remember reading that goldfish of this size are always black, so if they're already showing colors, can I assume they're koi? If so, I think I better rescue them from the turtle pond and put them back in the koi pond!
Sue

Jerrispond 16-07-2003 06:21 AM

Baby koi or goldfish?

noticed about 10 baby fish (no more =
than 1/2 long) and all of them are colors (white, yellow, orange) Does this

mean they are baby koi instead of baby goldfish?
I think Iremember reading that goldfish of this size are always black, so

ifthey're already showing colors, can I assume they're koi?

goldfish are black....but shubunkins and sarasas (types of goldfish) get color
very early. If you have a true yellow however they are probably koi. Jerri