GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   duckweed (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/37119-duckweed.html)

*muffin* 17-07-2003 11:30 PM

duckweed

I received my shipment of duckweed from BenignVanilla
& put IT in my pond.

ummmmm IT lasted all of 43 min 18 seconds!!!!

dang those fish loved that stuff

*pout*
that was one expensive meal

jammer 18-07-2003 12:12 AM

duckweed

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:56:50 -0400, "*muffin*"
wrote:

I received my shipment of duckweed from BenignVanilla
& put IT in my pond.

ummmmm IT lasted all of 43 min 18 seconds!!!!

dang those fish loved that stuff

*pout*
that was one expensive meal

I'm sorry, all i can do is laugh....

Basil Malithorne 18-07-2003 12:22 AM

duckweed

I bought a few scoops of Salvania which had a ton of duckweed mixed into it. The fish had the duckweed separated from the Salvania and eaten within minutes. However, since I know they won't eat the stuff I bought, it was a win-win. Pond was covered and the Koi had dessert.

--
------------------------------
Barefoot Malithorne

Gene 18-07-2003 12:32 AM

duckweed

I got my shipment of duckweed today too.
Thanks BenignVanilla.

*muffin* wrote:
I received my shipment of duckweed from BenignVanilla
& put IT in my pond.

ummmmm IT lasted all of 43 min 18 seconds!!!!

dang those fish loved that stuff

*pout*
that was one expensive meal

18-07-2003 02:52 AM

duckweed

I keep mine in a separate 10 Gal tank and feed it as a treat.

BenignVanilla 18-07-2003 01:12 PM

duckweed

"*muffin*" wrote in message
I received my shipment of duckweed from BenignVanilla
& put IT in my pond.

ummmmm IT lasted all of 43 min 18 seconds!!!!

dang those fish loved that stuff

*pout*
that was one expensive meal

If I didn't know the cost to ship, I would laugh too. Gosh, that stinks. My
fish peck at it, but I have so much, they can't get rid of it all. I did put
a huge handful in my aquarium, and it was gone a day later. I guess depends
on the fish.

I am at least glad to hear it survived.

BV.

BenignVanilla 18-07-2003 01:12 PM

duckweed

"Gene" wrote in message
I got my shipment of duckweed today too.
Thanks BenignVanilla.

snip

Did it survive?

BV.

Pinkpggy 18-07-2003 03:52 PM

duckweed

I received my shipment of duckweed from BenignVanilla
& put IT in my pond.

ummmmm IT lasted all of 43 min 18 seconds!!!!

dang those fish loved that stuff

*pout*
that was one expensive meal

LOL LOL I know the duckweed doesn't last long in our pond either.

Jan
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/us.html

The Madd Hatter 21-07-2003 05:42 AM

duckweed

What type of fish eat the duckweed? I put a couple of large scoops in
my pond, along w/ salvania (i think)... It spread a little bit but it
seems to be contained and actually waning now... I have a couple dozen
feeder goldfish in there and 9 or 10 african cichlids ranging in size
from 3" to 7.5"....

Also, I've got an infestation of this wierd green plant or algae... It
floats around in huge mats (snagging my duckweed too btw!) and feels
like hair.. .Its long and stringy and quite nasty... Anyone know what
it is or what I can do to get rid of it?

Thanx!

BenignVanilla 21-07-2003 02:52 PM

duckweed

"The Madd Hatter" wrote in message
What type of fish eat the duckweed? I put a couple of large scoops in
my pond, along w/ salvania (i think)... It spread a little bit but it
seems to be contained and actually waning now... I have a couple dozen
feeder goldfish in there and 9 or 10 african cichlids ranging in size
from 3" to 7.5"....

In my experience, my pond fish nibble the roots, but my aquarium fish gobble
the whole plant up.

Also, I've got an infestation of this wierd green plant or algae... It
floats around in huge mats (snagging my duckweed too btw!) and feels
like hair.. .Its long and stringy and quite nasty... Anyone know what
it is or what I can do to get rid of it?

Sounds like string algae.

BV.

The Madd Hatter 23-07-2003 03:22 AM

duckweed

Thanx BV

Thats what i was afraid of...Ofcourse this explains why my cichlids
out there are so robust even though they only get fed once a day
instead of 3 times....

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:44:59 -0400, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

.. .

BenignVanilla 23-07-2003 03:02 PM

duckweed

"The Madd Hatter" wrote in message
Thanx BV

Thats what i was afraid of...Ofcourse this explains why my cichlids
out there are so robust even though they only get fed once a day
instead of 3 times....

snip

I am getting the string algae around the edges of my pots, and near eddies
in the VF. I have heard lots of horror stories, but so far, when I can reach
it, I just pull it out. No biggie. Funny story...I went to pull a huge pile
out last night, but found that some of Jim Hurley's Water Celery had taken
root in a pile of straw and string algae. I tossed it all back in.

BV.