Old 20-07-2003, 10:07 PM
WeileMom

Default Barrel Pond help

Hi, we are setting up a barrel pond on our porch and could use a little advice.
In our last house we had a small inground pond that we experimented with, so
we know a little about how to take care of it. However, where we are having
trouble seems to be the liner.
The half-whiskey barrel we bought was quite a bit bigger than the hard plastic
liners so we decided to go with a plastic liner. We couldn't find a 5 x 5
liner pre-cut so we're trying black extra heavy duty plastic sheeting (its 6
ml). After getting the pond up and running late last night we discovered this
morning that it seems to be leaking through some of the staves. I really
didn't think we had a hole in our liner so we're not sure where the water is
coming from.
After reading all of the barrel info on the net that I could find it seems to
me that our mistake was not to soak the barrel beforehand.
Does this sound right? Should we drain the pond and soak the barrel? Or is
the liner we bought not going to hold water? We do have 3 goldfish to add once
we solve the leak. Plus we have a small pump, filter, gravel and lily in the
pond now.
Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Nicole
Old 20-07-2003, 10:36 PM
joe

WeileMom wrote:

After getting the pond up and running late last night we discovered this
morning that it seems to be leaking through some of the staves. I really
didn't think we had a hole in our liner so we're not sure where the water is
coming from.

Well, I would say your liner leaks. The water has to get past the liner to
get to the staves right? Is the liner up above the level of the water?

Joe

Old 21-07-2003, 02:54 AM
RichToyBox

Look at all the folds in the liner material. The liner may look like it is
over the top, but in trying to get a square flat liner to fit a round hole,
it has to have folds. I have found that where I created folds in my ponds,
that sometimes one of the folds ends up below water level and the water
leaks down.
--
RichToyBox

Old 21-07-2003, 02:56 AM
J.D. Stone

"WeileMom" wrote in message
[...]

Well for starters I wouldn't go with a 6 mil liner, but if it doesn't leak,
fine, except you seem to have a leak. Either the liner leaks and if so go
but a 5 foot section of 10 foot liner at Home Depot or wherever. But, if you
are reasonably sure the liner doesn't leak, then check any folds you made
fitting the plastic to the barrel. Perhaps one of the folds ended up below
water level causing the water to leak past that point. You could just watch
it and see how low the level goes.
JD
http://www.nrgy.com/pond.htm

Old 21-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Everwyrd

Hi there!

If it turns out you decide to scrap the liner... try a plantainer. It's made
by MacCourt and will line a whiskey barrely pond perfectly. I think you can
get them at Home Depot or Lowes. I don't sell them so I hope the group
doesn't think I'm spamming... I've used one for a small goldfish pond seen
here...

http://www.everwyrd.com/image/frogpond.jpg

The info for the plantainer is here...

http://www.thegardenstop.net/html/plantainer.html

Good luck!!

Old 22-07-2003, 06:31 AM
infoseeker

Nicole,
Best of luck to you! I too have a whiskey barrel, which leaks. My first
water garden! YEAH! I tried a preformed liner, and long story, but yeah,
they don't fit to the bottom, and take away from the whiskey barrel look. I
didn't try a liner yet, as the leak is between 1/2 to 2/3 the way up the
barrel. We've had the barrel a long time, and it used to be water tight
(until we started filling it only 1/2 way). It SLOWLY is swelling. Some of
the staves are 1/4" apart. I'm hoping they will in fact re-seal. I'm
helping this process by setting an oscillating sprinkler on low and angled
just so, to get the edges wet for a few hours, and or, showering the whole
thing down on the outside several times a day.

I refill it every morning and evening, or so. The level IS moving up. The
plants seem fine- although I may have to raise some when the barrel gets
back to sealed. And when I did have fish, they were ok with the lower water
level, and I added conditioner every few refills (raccoons got them).

Anyway, that's my plan, to let it swell naturally.

But, plan B is to get some aquatic sealant and lower the water level to
below the leaks and then seal the puppy up. My family suggests when fall
and rain comes, all will be well, and to wait to do plan B. An extreme test
of patience, but one that may well turn out. I DO see some improvement- and
it's been I think 3 weeks now. (Wish me luck!!)

Keep us posted! I'm so thrilled to have another 'barreler!"

Old 22-07-2003, 08:32 AM
WeileMom

Thanks for all of the replies!!
I checked the folds, thinking that this was the problem, but they were fine, so
we ended up draining the barrel and starting over. UGH!!
It turned out that when we added pea gravel we must have put holes in the
liner. So to fix the problem we did a couple of things, the most important
was going back to Home Depot and buying a pre-form plastic liner! I still feel
like we cheated. The new liner is working great. Yes, it takes up room from
the barrel but it ended up giving it a more polished look. The liner doesn't
have a "lip" to fit over the edge of the barrel like the one's at Lowe's had so
it isn't as obvious.
The weirdest part is that it gives the optical illusion of a very shallow pond,
thus making the fish MUCH easier to see.
We also bought aquarium gravel which is natural colored but polished and didn't
dirty the water the way the pea gravel did.
Anyway, the Barrel is looking good and I think the water lily leaves will make
it to the surface tomorrow.
Thanks again for all of the help, this is a great group!
---Nicole
Old 24-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Sue Walsh

Hi Nicole
I used a barrel with the liner you have for 3 small goldfish for two
years. A barrel really is only the right size for one small fish, so
to compensate you will need to run a small pump(I used a 75GPH pump).
Also, as the fish grow(they will grow, mine got to 8" in the barrel)
also add an airstone for oxygen or they will die, since the surface
area is what gives them oxygen and a barrel has very little water
surface area. You can get an $8 air pump at home depot or a local
pet store, that's what I used. Run both of these 24/7. You should
also keep a close eye on the PH, Ammonia & Nitrite since this is a
small volumn of water for the number of fish you have. I used to
check it twice a week. This is only a 5 minute job, no big deal but
important for the health of your fish. If you find any of the numbers
move even slightly out of the safe range, do a 25% water change right
away to keep your fish safe. That means remove 25% of the water from
the barrel and replace it with fresh water. Remember to use declor if
you have clorinated water. Then let it sit for a few hours and
recheck your numbers on whatever test was off. Do not over feed your
fish as that will stress them in such a small space by causing water
chemestry problems. I don't mean for any of this to sound
overwheleming, it's not, but it will keep your fish safe. I went from
one barrel with the three goldfish to 3 barrels (the other two just
had plants) and now I have a 18'X 8' pond where my 3 original goldfish
live and one of their babies plus 5 other goldfish amoung many
waterlilies and lots of other plants. In the barrel the original 3
fish always liked the water coming in from the splash of the pump, now
they have a 22' waterfall dropping into the pond which is where they
love to play.

BTW-My husband named the original 3 red goldfish "Flopsy" "Mopsy"
"Cottontail" (cottontail is a fancytail). Allright the other fish were
named by my husband also; there are 3 red and white comets named "Moe"
"Larry" & "Curly". And to finish it off he named the 3 babies "Hewy"
"Louie" & "Dewey" I know you're not supposed to name your fish, but
the hubby is not a pond person, so...

Enjoy your barrel garden and your fish.

Sue W

(WeileMom) wrote in message ...
Thanks for all of the replies!!
I checked the folds, thinking that this was the problem, but they were fine, so
we ended up draining the barrel and starting over. UGH!!
It turned out that when we added pea gravel we must have put holes in the
liner. So to fix the problem we did a couple of things, the most important
was going back to Home Depot and buying a pre-form plastic liner! I still feel
like we cheated. The new liner is working great. Yes, it takes up room from
the barrel but it ended up giving it a more polished look. The liner doesn't
have a "lip" to fit over the edge of the barrel like the one's at Lowe's had so
it isn't as obvious.
The weirdest part is that it gives the optical illusion of a very shallow pond,
thus making the fish MUCH easier to see.
---Nicole

barrel pond water-thanks! [email protected] Ponds 2 07-06-2005 11:50 PM
barrel pond water question [email protected] Ponds 10 06-06-2005 03:56 AM
Parrot's feather not flourishing in wine barrel fish pond Robert Gorsch Ponds 11 01-07-2004 05:02 PM
Barrel Pond help WeileMom Ponds 0 20-07-2003 10:04 PM
whiskey barrel pond Sandy Ponds 7 25-06-2003 04:44 AM