GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Granite for Waterfalls (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/37725-granite-waterfalls.html)

BGreel 21-07-2003 02:02 PM

Granite for Waterfalls

Hi Everyone,

Somewhere I thought I read where using granite in water falls is not good.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thank You
Joan

john rutz 21-07-2003 03:02 PM

Granite for Waterfalls

--
Most all the rock I use in my pond is granite, there is a quarry down
the road a few miles and I get it fairly cheaply. My "Koi fence"

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

RichToyBox 22-07-2003 03:58 AM

Granite for Waterfalls

Granite is an igneous rock that takes thousands of years to become clay. It
shouldn't have anything in it that would hurt the pond, and if it did, it
would take forever to build up in any quantity. There are some shale's that
break down quickly, and some soft sandstones that will come unglued, making
a mess of the pond, but the basic chemistry of most of these rocks is not
harmful. Limestone will dissolve in more acidic water, raising the calcium
level, but if it is in large enough quantities, keep the pH from falling
very far. Dolomite is almost insoluble.
--
RichToyBox