Old 23-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Ian Birtles

Default help

Hi all
I have a problem I had 21 fish in my pond 2 grass carp, 1 green tench, 2
blue orf, 6 English koi, 4 gold fish, 2 shubunkins,& 4 jap koi, i see them
every day swimming around, but since Monday i haven't seen any fish in the
pond i have fed them and food is still floating on the top which is normally
gone in 10 mins, a neighbour said that he saw a large grey coloured bird fly
out of my garden at about 5.00am Monday morning.
my question is could this have been a heron, and if it was could he have
decimated all my fish or could there be any left and too frightened to come
up for food, and how do i stop the blessed thing from hitting me again.
all suggestions will be appreciated.
yours Ian (mostyn)
My web site is
www.mostynpondlife.com

Old 23-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Ian Birtles wrote:
Hi all
I have a problem I had 21 fish in my pond 2 grass carp, 1 green tench, 2
blue orf, 6 English koi, 4 gold fish, 2 shubunkins,& 4 jap koi, i see them
every day swimming around, but since Monday i haven't seen any fish in the
pond i have fed them and food is still floating on the top which is normally
gone in 10 mins, a neighbour said that he saw a large grey coloured bird fly
out of my garden at about 5.00am Monday morning.
my question is could this have been a heron, and if it was could he have
decimated all my fish or could there be any left and too frightened to come
up for food, and how do i stop the blessed thing from hitting me again.
all suggestions will be appreciated.
yours Ian (mostyn)
My web site is
www.mostynpondlife.com

Hi Ian,

The large grey bird could very well have been a heron. If
so, the remaining fish are likely to be hiding. Give them
some time and they'll gradually reappear. To keep the heron
from getting all your fish you should cover the pond with a
net. The type used to cover fruit trees to protect the
fruit from the birds.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 24-07-2003, 01:13 AM
Anne Lurie

Ian,

As Bonnie pointed out in another reply, this bird was most likely a heron.
Here in the US, it's a Great Blue Heron (GBH); in Europe, it's a Grey Heron
according to "The Larousse Guide to Birds of Britain & Europe" -- in any
event, netting across the pond is probably the way to go.

As for the size of the bird, here in the US, GBH can range up to 4' tall;
the Grey Heron is described (if I'm interpreting the notations correctly) as
being 92 centimetres tall with a wingspan of 140 centimetres. Depending on
the size of your fish, many of them may simply be gone -- that's a big
bird, with a big appetite.

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 30-07-2003, 06:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Ian,

Just in case a net isn't workable or aesthetically pleasing, many are
finding the Scarecrow Sprinkler works just as well.

Read about it below and then do a search to find it locally. ~ jan

http://www.km01.com/index.html

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM