Old 27-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Ian

Default Worms in the waterfall

While cleaning my pond this week, found a whole slew of worm-like creatures
living in my waterfall.

These worms were extremely small, probably under 1cm in length, maybe 1mm
thick, one end attached either to the stone, or embedded in some algae.
They'd stand on end, and move non-stop back and forth, back and forth.

Also saw some other creatures, about the same width, a tad shorter, that
were scooting around the waterfall at some fast pace.

My waterfall moves quite fast, I'm kind of surprised anything would take up
house in it.

Any ideas what these could be? I am hoping they are not mosquito larvae,
which I thought preferred standing water as opposed to fast moving water.

I have Robins, Grackles, and Mourning Doves that bath in the waterfall, also
want to make sure they are not at risk, or the depositors of said creatures.

Thanks.

Old 27-07-2003, 06:03 PM
K30a

They are not mosquito larva so you don't have that worry.
Look he
http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/con...s-general.html

k30a
yearly brother website posting
http://www.30acreimaging.com/
Old 27-07-2003, 06:13 PM
Barbara2245

"Ian" wrote in message ble.rogers.com...
[...]

There are red worms in the bio-filter media when I clean it but I
think they are midge fly larva. My fish hang around the water fall
sometimes and probably eating the larva. It shouldn't be mosquito
larva because the don't survive in moving water. Happy water
gardening.
Old 27-07-2003, 07:32 PM
Dave Fouchey

What color are they Ian, and for the little fellows scooting around do
they look like little hard shelled critters? Could be Fairy Shrimp.
All in all I wouldn;t worry to much about them think of them as free
fish food and detritus cleaners.

Dave

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:28:33 GMT, "Ian"
wrote:

[...]