Old 04-08-2003, 08:32 AM
zookeeper

Default KH, GH, pH ... oh, my

Okay, so I didn't listening to JMK and I messed with my pond water
today. Sorry, ;-)

Reminder -- I have green algae water and test results yesterday we

pH: 9.5
NO2: less than 0.3
ammonia: 0
GH: 1.5 dH or 19 ppm
KH: 2 dH or 36 ppm
CO2: 0,1 (based on a chart analyzing pH and KH)

I added one cup of baking soda, then realized that if I did nothing to
bring the pH down that the baking soda would increase the pH. I have
muriatic acid on hand (for pool and cleaning aquariums) so added ~6
ounces. After two hours did the following tests:

pH: 8.5
GH: 3 dH or 54 ppm
KH: 5 dH or 90 ppm

So if I add another cup of baking soda tomorrow, the GH and KH will /
should increase again, but because I'm stabilizing the pH with the
baking soda it shouldn't increase and might even decrease? [Before I add
anything, I'll retest pH, GH, KH and ammonia in the morning.] As I
lowered the pH today (and the GH and KH increased), the water seemed
clearer. Does high pH water hold algae or other fine particles better
than lower pH water?

If GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium, why does it increase by
using baking soda? [Little rusty on chemistry, especially at 12:02 am.]
--
Kathy B, zookeeper
3500gal pond, 13 pond piggies

Old 04-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Nedra

zookeeper,
Just get the KH up into the 100's. The pH will go to 8.4 and
No Higher or Lower. Don't fool around with the pH!!

You can fool around with the GH later... not important now.

Nedra

Old 04-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Critical Popperian

If GH is a measure of calcium and magnesium, why does it increase by
using baking soda? [Little rusty on chemistry, especially at 12:02 am.]

It shouldn't. Never has noticeably for me. I went from 2 KH to 9 KH
with Baking Soda and little/no move in GH.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Sam Hopkins

Why is your PH 9.5? Is this a concrete pond or are there concrete blocks in
it? If you are trying to combat high PH you dont want to add a acid buffer
like baking soda because you want the acid to drop your PH.

Sam

Old 04-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Lee Brouillet

Baking soda is the great neutralizer, no pun intended. It will take high pH
and drop it, and it will take low pH and raise it. Baking soda wants to be
at 8.4, and if you get enough of it in the water, that's where your pH will
be - whether it wants to or not.

Lee

.. .

Old 05-08-2003, 04:21 AM
RichToyBox

Kathy,

Nothing that you added should have affected the GH. The GH test kit that I
have is almost impossible for me to run, due to the colors green to yellow,
or vice versa. There just isn't much definition, like there is with KH.
Don't worry about the small difference in the test results. Don't add
muratic acid, it just eats the KH.
--
RichToyBox

Old 05-08-2003, 07:02 AM
zookeeper

RichToyBox wrote:
Nothing that you added should have affected the GH. The GH test kit that I
have is almost impossible for me to run, due to the colors green to yellow,
or vice versa. There just isn't much definition, like there is with KH.
Don't worry about the small difference in the test results. Don't add
muratic acid, it just eats the KH.

My GH test first colors the water red, then changes to green with one drop.

Since I posted last night, I've googled rec.ponds on GH and KH, and read
up on making the changes. Seems that if I keep adding baking soda my pH
may go up or down to 8.4 and hold there when the KH reaches a level of
110 ppm or so.

Will keep y'all posted.
--
zookeeper