Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Problems with my pond?

"jammer" wrote in message
snip
No, i dont think so. Anacharis, creeping primrose, water
hyacinth....those are a few of the plants you want to help clean your
water.

I dunno. I have some iris in my VF, and they are growing like gang

busters.
I need to split them again already this season. And, doesn't Jerri use
nothing but iris in the VF?

BV.

I didn't know he was talking about the VF, i thought he meant clearing
in general. Ever look at the roots on a WH, pretty cool. The roots
look like feathers.

Yes...water lettuce is also much the same.

BV.

Old 25-08-2003, 09:42 PM
D Kat

The irises will suck up some of the nutrients that are feeding the algae but
they won't filter the water (pull out the dirt and such) unless you have
them in some type of container where you are pumping water into that area
from your pond - having it go through the plants roots and then back out
into the water you are pumping from. I have done this several different
ways that are successful. I had a black leaf tub (sold at Target during
Halloween) that floated on the water which I put water hyacinths in, ran a
hose from a pump (which I had stuck in a bucket filled with lava rocks) into
the floating tub and then the water flowed from the bottom of the tub, up
through the roots and out over the rim. You can also get an inexpensive
barrel liner which has a lip for the water to flow out of. You put this
outside of the pond, position the lip so that the water falls back into the
pond. You pump water from the pond into the liner. Almost any plant that
will develop a root system in water will work well as a filtering agent. I
have had watercress, mint, water hyacinths, snow on the mountain, etc.
growing in my tubs but water hyacinths are the best. DKat

"Thenewguy" wrote in message
also one more thing....i have a bunch of iris planted in the ground next

my pond. is it possible to get some of those into pots and into the

ground??
and if i do this, will it help clear up my pond.