Old 09-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Keith and Wendy Slonecker

Default cloudy water suddenly - ???

Ive been pretty quiet this season as things have been going well with my
pond (knock on wood). On Thursday I bought a new lily plant and brought it
home and placed it in the water..... the usual muddy water came off it for
just a few minutes and I didnt think anything of it.
That night I went out to check the pond and could not see the bottom (4-1/2
feet deep). The water looks muddy/silty. I double checked my filter and
pumps...... everything was fine. I figured it was just some more silt off
the new plant and would settle out overnight.

Friday morning the water was just as cloudy. Did parameter checks and
everything is normal and healthy in the water tests. Then I took out the
filter and cleaned it thoroughly and it was fairly dirty. Replaced it,
checked all the pumps again and everything was fine. I figured in 2 hours or
so the water would clear up as the pumps cycle the 3000 gallons in about an
hour or two I think.

Anyway, today is Saturday morning and the water is a little bit clearer but
still cloudy. I always have totally clear water, year round. No green phase
each year, just always crystal clear water.

Does anyone have any other ideas for me to check? The fish are all eating
and cruising normally and do not appear in any distress. If I go purchase a
"clarifier" powder, good bacteria stuff, will that help clear the cloudy
water? Im also using Koizyme on a regular schedule. Would the clarifier
nullify the actions of the Koizyme?

Thanks for any help.
wendy in Oregon

Old 10-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Benign Vanilla

Forgive the top post...in a hurry...

I suggest you just let it be. You probably have some very fine
particles/silt suspended. Just let it fall out naturally.

BV.

Old 10-08-2003, 05:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi Wendy, First I'd check that lily and see if there is any soil left in
it, your fish could have had a hey-day rooting around in the "new plant" in
the pond. Otherwise neither clarifier nor bacteria will neutralize koizyme,
anyway if you're on the maintenance dose of once a week, wait 3 days after
adding your maintenance dose if you're concerned. ~ jan

On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 08:36:10 -0700, "Keith and Wendy Slonecker"
wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~