Old 11-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Mike \(mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums\)

Default Newbie alert! something in the filter...

that looks like mosquito larvae.

Is it? should it be there? it looks exactly like the mosquito larvae I used
to buy frozen in blocks to feed to my tropical fish. Maybe it's all the hot
weather we are having here in the UK.

Old 11-08-2003, 06:02 PM
K30a

Bring a few inside, put them in a white
china dish and use a penlight and a magnifying
glass and get a really good look at them.
Then go here ~

http://www.people.Virginia.EDU/~sos-...oKeyIntro.HTML

Let us know what you find out!
Do they have Mosquito Dunks or Mosquito Bits to put in the water across the
pond? If they are mosquitoes those products ought to solve your problem.

k30a
and the watergardening labradors
http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...ors/index.html
Old 11-08-2003, 06:22 PM
DavidM

Is it? should it be there? it looks exactly like the mosquito larvae I
used
to buy frozen in blocks to feed to my tropical fish. Maybe it's all the

hot
weather we are having here in the UK.

This same question apears every year. Usually they are Black fly larvae.
Take a look at
http://www.sacs.k12.in.us/woodside/t...s/blackfly.htm or
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/livestock/bfly.htm#intro.

I'm in Essex and get them every year, just scrape the little beggers off and
let the fish eat them.
David

Old 11-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Mike \(mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums\)

They are bright red, I don't think they are black fly. They are actually in
the filter foam if that helps.

Old 11-08-2003, 08:03 PM
K30a

Ahhh, bright red!

Probably bloodworms, which are the larva of a species of midge fly. Still good
fish food! ;-)

Old 11-08-2003, 09:09 PM

"K30a" wrote in message
Ahhh, bright red!

Probably bloodworms, which are the larva of a species of midge fly. Still

good
fish food! ;-)

So it's nothing to worry about?

Old 12-08-2003, 12:10 AM
K30a

No, nothing to worry about.
Most insect larva in the pond is
fish food and not dangerous to the
fish.
Some insect larva do eat tiny baby
fish. But mother nature intended that
to happen. If all your baby fish survived
you would be walking on fish across your
pond.
In North America about 5,000 species of
insects spend part or all of their lifes in
water.

http://www.geocities.com/watergarden...dors/home.html
Old 12-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Mike \(mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums\)

Thanks, I'm more used to tropical fish where they are in a controlled
environment and insects in the water are not good.

Old 12-08-2003, 06:06 AM
zookeeper

Mike (mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums) wrote:
They are bright red, I don't think they are black fly. They are actually in
the filter foam if that helps.

If they're bright red, they're midge larva. A midge looks a little like
a miniature mosquito but they don't bite.
--
Zookeeper

Old 13-08-2003, 05:23 AM
zookeeper

zookeeper wrote:
Mike (mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums) wrote:

They are bright red ...

The Water Garden's tip of the week is a photograph of a blood worm and a
description http://watergarden.com

--
Zk

Old 13-08-2003, 08:13 AM

"zookeeper" wrote in message
zookeeper wrote:
Mike (mixmanx at AV and DVD Forums) wrote:

They are bright red ...

The Water Garden's tip of the week is a photograph of a blood worm and a
description http://watergarden.com

--
Zk

Thanks for that link, that is the little critters I have.

newbie alert Ray V Bonsai 0 29-05-2004 10:04 PM
newbie... Troll Alert eom kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
SPAM ALERT an ad I saw for multiple packs Flower Bulbs, Strawberrys, hanging baskets animaux Gardening 0 30-01-2003 02:52 AM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Matriarc Ponds 0 26-01-2003 04:37 AM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Don Wanton Ponds 0 25-01-2003 11:28 PM