Old 13-08-2003, 08:23 AM
Paul Disdle

Default DIY Filter

Does anyone have plans for a diy filter or a recommended site to find some.

Paul

Old 13-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Mark T.

Hi Paul,
Here's a few links that may help.

http://www.mikebentley.com/ponds/homemadefilters.htm

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

http://www.wavepumps.com/state_of_the_art_filters.htm

Happy reading!
Mark

Old 13-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Heather

See a diagram here http://www.exit109.com/~gosta/pond.sht about 1/3 of the
page down. I used this method and it has worked well for me. I used a
garbage can about 3' high and clean it about once every three weeks. Pond
is 1800 gal.

Heather
SW Ontario (Zone 5)

Old 15-08-2003, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Click on *My Filter*
*Demon Pond Filter* and *My Lilypond* for a view of the piping under the
pond liner. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 16-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Nicole Thompson

I built my own "bio-filter" and it's worked fine all summer.
I read somewhere that one person used the plastic dish scrubbies (instead of
lava rock - b/c I'd also read that once lava rocks get "slimy", they should
be replaced - not so for the scrubbies!).......so I used that idea, got a
plastic file-folder holder at Wal-Mart (you can make it larger if your pond
is larger, but this was the perfect size for ours). Then I used another
suggestion I read and went to Lowe's and bought furnace filters - the blue
biodegradable kind you cut to fit - NOT the ones w/fiberglass in them. I
lined the "box" w/those, then stood scrubbies on end to fill the bottom, put
in my pump, then filled the rest of it w/the scrubbies - tightly - and
finally covered it w/another piece of the furnace filter - using two flat
rocks on top to hold it to the bottom. We also run a fountain out the top
off the pump. :-)

It really works well and we clean it on average once a week, but the pond
was filthy on the bottom to begin with and we've had a lot of rain this
summer, so after every rain, it needed cleaned. But the fish seem happy
(plants too).......and those scrubbies clean up *really* well and are
totally reusable!

But, to each his own - it works for us and it was really inexpensive.

Good luck w/whatever method you choose,
Nicole
--
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde
There is nothing like a dream to create the future. - Victor Hugo

Old 25-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Ken Cooper

I think one of the people who responded to your query already mentioned this
web site, but I found it last night and found it FULL of interesting info -
and an apparently EXCELLENT D.I.Y filter that they've designed, and can sell
you parts for it and other related stuff for keeping your pond clean. I've
just dug my pond - and that's where I am in the process - but I may be using
this filter design if for no other reason than to save money and eliminate a
lot of the maintenance other filter systems require.
Good luck!
Here's the web site...just click on it or copy and paste it into your web
browser...

http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a...d2040561d30405
61d3%26sid%3d3040561d3040561d3%26qid%3d7BD9E588203 53C4EB714A1C33EF86293%26io%3d0%26sv%3dza5cb0dd4%26 ask%3dhow%2bto%2bbuild%2ba%2bbiological%2bfilter%2 bfor%2bpond%26uip%3d040561d3%26en%3dte%26eo%3d-100%26pt%3dBuilding%2bA%2bBio-Logical%2bFilter%26ac%3d7%26q
s%3d0%26pg%3d1%26u%3dhttp%3a%2f%2fwww.skippysstuff .com%2fbiofiltr.htm&s=a&bu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.skippy sstuff.com%2fbiofiltr.htm

Ken

Old 28-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Peggy

http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm

i bought the stock tank at agway (feed stores have them too) most of the
parts at home depot. The only thing I have been changing over is the filter
media. I used floor scrubbing pads but they are too hard to clean and I
have swapped out some for screening this year. Also, this year I added legs
to help support the plastic grate that holds the filter media off the
bottom. I missed the original post. I don't have time this time of year to
spend on the computer as I do in the winter. Good luck to whoever is
building theirs now. My pond is 3600 gals +/- and this works well for me.
I'm overloaded with fish right now but the filter is doing an adequate job
but requires cleaning more frequently. The babies that are now 1 year old
are very hard to catch. I've removed 30 of them to friends and family and
have another 30 to catch before the snow flies
..
"Ken Cooper" wrote in message
I think one of the people who responded to your query already mentioned

this
web site, but I found it last night and found it FULL of interesting

info -
and an apparently EXCELLENT D.I.Y filter that they've designed, and can

sell
you parts for it and other related stuff for keeping your pond clean.

I've
just dug my pond - and that's where I am in the process - but I may be

using
this filter design if for no other reason than to save money and eliminate

lot of the maintenance other filter systems require.
Good luck!
Here's the web site...just click on it or copy and paste it into your web
browser...

http://web.ask.com/redir?bpg=http%3a...3dhow %2bto%2
bbuild%2ba%2bbiological%2bfilter%2bfor%2bpond%26o% 3d0%26page%3d1&q=how+to+bu
ild+a+biological+filter+for+pond&u=http%3a%2f%2ftm .wc.ask.com%2fr%3ft%3dan%2
6s%3da%26uid%3d2040561d3040561d3%26sid%3d3040561d3 040561d3%26qid%3d7BD9E5882