Old 15-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Robyn Rhudy

Default Power outage tips

I know it's too late now but since the power outage is big news, I wanted
to remind some people about my tips on aquariums and ponds during power
outages. Here are the links. Where I live, we used to get the power out
all the time so I think it's funny how dependant people are on power and
don't know what to do without it. We have flashlights all over the house,
battery operated fluorescent lights, like 5 battery air pumps for the
aquariums, and a generator we got a few years ago. Of course, since we
got it, the power's stopped going out for long periods (I'm not
complaining). Years ago, I lost a batch of wild turkey eggs that died
when the power went out and they were in the incubator for a day. Back in
the 70's and 80's, we had a few outages that lasted 3 days. Why? We used
to be rural so no one gave a pleco turd about us. Now, they've built it
up and those new people count I guess so no more long periods without
power.

Aquariums during power outages:
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/fcare2.htm#power
Ponds during power outages:
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/pcare.htm#power

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
_ _
(o)____(o) ---ribbit
_/ oo \_
/ \----------/ \
\ | | | | /
ww ooo ooo ww

Old 15-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Bob Koerber

Very well put Robyn, I still have the trusty generator and have the ponds and
greenhouse tied into it along with important circuits in the house. Being on
a cooperative electric i.e. rural we have had times of several days without
power when across the stree the lights were on! But I wouldn't give it up
for the world. The motto is be prepared, a little coleman generator is only
a few hundred dollars and could save thousands of dollars in wasted food, or
your precious fish that some people have more tied up in than the annual per
capita income of Alabama.

Bob

-

Old 16-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Anne Lurie

Just a note about securing generators:

Sorry, I misspoke, my note is actually about what NOT to do to secure your
generator!

Last December, during humungous ice storm here in North Carolina, my hubby
was unable to open the padlock that secured our generator because it was too
rusted/corroded (the padlock, I mean).

After breaking the padlock, he was unable to start the generator (our fault,
because we had not tested it often enough and/or put the right additives in
its gas tank).

He then pulled the generator into the cover of our garage so he could check
it out "tomorrow" -- but it was stolen overnight.

I'm afraid that my descriptive powers have failed me tonight, but my point
is -- don't just think about how you "will use" the generator, think about
how you "will be able to use" the generator!

Sorry, sorry, sorry, this post is really lame, I admit it. I'm just trying
to point out that it's a shame if we can't use a $3,000 generator because we
didn't spend $25 to replace the padlock every 6 months or so. (I thought
padlocks lasted forever, but I was wrong -- here in the humid South, I
guess you measure the life of a padlock in weeks, not years.)

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Robyn Rhudy wrote:

[...]

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
Power outage - what to do? ReelMcKoi Ponds 3 09-02-2006 02:08 PM
[IBC] electric outage Martin Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 05:42 PM
Power Scythe John H Wood United Kingdom 1 31-03-2003 06:20 PM
power tiller: to get or not to get one pgh Gardening 17 28-02-2003 03:15 AM